G-drive placement

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Whackintosh, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Whackintosh macrumors 6502

Whackintosh

As I've got a G-drive on order with delivery slated for Monday, I wanted to ask the MR universe a question with regards to placement. My first thought was that I'd place the drive to the side of my Imac's stand, beneath either the left or right side of the screen.

Then it occurred to me: HDD's give off heat, and this would be placing a heat source directly beneath my Imac's air intake! G-Tech's own site shows G-drive units placed in this way, so I'm wondering if it's actually alright to do it? It would certainly be the ideal location if it's safe. Could anyone give me any feedback?

2. 2Bad4U macrumors member

2Bad4U

I have a TC and they run reasonably hot. That being said I wouldn't hesitate putting my TC where you would like to place your G-drive. I don't believe that the TC would affect your iMac and the TC most likely runs hotter than the G-drive. I suggest that you place it by your iMac and see how much heat it actually generates and move it if you are not comfortable with the results.

BTW...I'm also considering a G-drive. Which one did you order (1TB, 2TB, 4TB)? I'm looking at getting a Mac mini server and attaching the 4TB G-drive to it. I'm also considering purchasing a 2TB G-drive for my 27" iMac. Let me know how it works out for you.

Cheers!
    -- Bill --

3. 2Bad4U macrumors member

2Bad4U

Quick update...

I purchased the 2TB G-Drive earlier today.

This drive does not even get warm, quite a difference from my TC. :D

-- Bill --