G-Drive Q vs. WD My Book Studio Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by RebornKillah, Jun 16, 2009.

?

Which External Hard Drive?

1. G-Drive Q

7 vote(s)
    77.8%
  2. WD My Book Studio Edition

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. RebornKillah macrumors newbie

Ok...So I have done some researching and and narrowed my external hard drive choices to the G-Drive Q and WD My Book Studio Edition. I just purchased a 2.53 15" MBP if that helps.

I like the G-Drive because of the fanless cooling system and the sturdy frame (If I should ever drop it). But I have heard that the Hitachi drives are not that reliable. Is 74 MB/s for read/write good?

However, I like that the WD has the auto on/off feature to go w/ to computer to save power and therefore $$$. But, I have not been able to confirm the RPMs of the drive. One site said 5,400, which is too slow for video editing.

Which one should I get?

Thanks much!

-ReborN :D

2. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I have both drives, and while I like both, my preference would be for the G-Tech drive.

The WD drive looks nice, has good connectivity and of course uses a WD hard drive which I like a lot. It also has a built-in spin-down feature which some people like, others dislike (it operates independantly of OS X). You get a generous warranty with the WD drive too.

The G-Tech drive has a beautiful metal enclosure which is very easy to open and replace the HDD if you so desire (should the drive ever fail or you want to replace it with a higher capacity disk). It doesn't feature an automatic spin-down feature like the WD drive, however if you have the spin-down option selected within System Preferences, OS X will spin the drive down when it's idle.

So while the WD and G-Tech drives are functionally very similar at purchase, the G-Tech enclosure is a beautiful metal enclosure which gives you the ability to retain the enclosure but replace the HDD at a later date, whereas the WD MyBook drive is a sealed unit for all intents and purposes. Obviously if you ever open the G-Tech enclosure you will void the warranty, but it depends whether that matters to you a few years down the line.

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

The g-drive gets my vote.

I don't really like WD or their drives. I've had two fail on me so far, one still kickin'.

Apple uses hitatchi drives AFAIK (atleast for their notebooks). I don't know what the warranty on the WD Studio is but three years for the g-drive isn't bad.

4. RebornKillah thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome! Thanks for the help.

Any other suggestions/thoughts?

5. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

Sorry, not one of the options, but have you considered the OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro - don't have it, but a lot of folks on here do.

The nice thing is you can get up to a 32mb cache.

Just a thought.

Cheers!:apple:

6. RebornKillah thread starter macrumors newbie

I have looked at it, but after reading some reviews and experiences w/ OWC I think I am sticking between G-Technology and WD.

7. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

I have the WD 1TB Studio drives, and they're OK. But I use them only for off-site back-ups. So I dont use them daily. The quad interface is handy, but one thing as other people on forums have noticed the WD studio's have a tendency to not wake up properly sometimes.

I dont have the G-Drive Q, but do have the G-Drive Mini 500GB and it rocks :D V Small, light, bus powered, white cable ;) and silent :D:D But pricey. You get what u pay for. Oh and nice leather pouch too :)

8. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

I have owned two of these, G drives, and haven't had any issues with either of them.

9. jbrettz macrumors member

Through today, Newegg has 10% off all of the internal and external HD drives. So you can save an extra 10%.

I have been looking at the same thing, I like the 5 yr warranty with WD but have read a lot of negative reviews about WD realiablity. The G drive is priced higher but then it may be more realiable.

Brett

10. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

Unfortunately NewEgg doesn't carry G drives. :(

11. jbrettz macrumors member

:) Yes they do they have this one:
    G-TECH G-DRIVE - Q 500GB 7200 RPM 3.5" USB 2.0 / IEEE 1394a / IEEE 1394b / eSATA External Hard Drive Model 913003-01

listed at $169.00 before the 10% off

Brett

12. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

eeewww - nice call. Thanks!