G-Drive vs G-Raid (2TB)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bigvb@hotmail.c, May 2, 2010.

1. bigvb@hotmail.c macrumors member

I need to buy a new External 2TB HD.

Im pretty sure im ganna go G-Technology.

I was set on the G-Drive 2TB as its the standard one and fits the bill.

But i see the G-Raid 2TB is the same price. Any reason for me to pick the raid over the G-Drive.

I will be using FW800, and doing mostly standard file backups, and a little video editing and logic pro stuff.

p.s. i have no intention to use e-sata.

2. bigvb@hotmail.c thread starter macrumors member

3. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

On their site it looks like G-Tech touts the G-Drive for file backup and music production, the G-Raid for video. Not exactly sure why. I do know the G-Raid has a cooling fan whereas G-Drive does not. The fan should help with longevity and constant use, but probably adds to the noise.

I don't know the difference between the Oxford 934 (G-Drive) and 936 (G-Raid) bridging chips.

Probably you should email G-Tech and ask which would be better for your applications.

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

G-Tech seems to have a lot of QC issues, so search for those as well by specific model before you buy.

The difference in the Oxford chips, is one has an ARM processor and Port Multiplier for 2x disks on it (936SE used in the G-RAID), the other is just a Bridge chip (924 = USB and FW800 conversion to and from SATA; eSATA is just a pass-through = no chip involved).

5. bigvb@hotmail.c thread starter macrumors member

cheers guys; i just dropped them an e-mail

I'll post here with their reply; incase anyone is interested.

6. mortfe macrumors regular

I bought the regular 2tb G-Drive to go with my 1tb G-Drive, but keep getting -50 error message. Have to unmount and remount. Could last 10 minutes or 10 hours before it happens again.Apple says a communications error. Don't know if switching to the RAID will help, but I had a 750gb MINI that I exchanged for the 2tb which worked fine. I got no place with G-Tech or Apple, other than exchange it. If I had known this problem would occur, I would have bought the 4tb RAID to begin with and partitioned it. Both drives running firewire on new 21.5 iMac.

7. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

G-Raid is two drives in RAID0. They are faster and rock hard!