G-Map Navigation coming to iPhone Soon (November)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by navigates, Nov 10, 2008.

1. navigates macrumors 6502a

Has anyone seen G-Map. The site says its coming beginning November.? Looks promising.

2. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

I don't understand the excitement with this app. As far as I can tell, the only thing it offers that's different from the included Google map app is that it can work without a data connection. Beyond that, it's just a mapping/search app. It does not appear to do turn-by-turn navigation. If it did, I'd expect them to trumpet that ability loudly on their site.

3. arubinst macrumors 6502

It is exciting for people who, like me, live in Europe and get to travel often outside the home country.

When visiting another country, roaming charges render the included Google maps useless. So an application that works without a data connection makes a lot of sense to me.

4. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

Ah, that makes sense. I hadn't considered that scenario, so thank you for clearing that up for me.

5. Inukami macrumors 6502

does it locate you by GPS like the Maps app? If so this is what i need =D

6. svndmvn Guest

is there any certain news about it coming soon?
    it sure should use the GPS in the iPhone,wth, I don't think there's any "gps" application in the app store that doesn't use the antenna, though there is one pretty similar to google earth that i think didn't really locate you..
    http://www.xroadgps.com/Maps/GMapforiPhone/tabid/2463/Default.aspx
    it says it's actually coming in Nov,don't know about that,but if it is,it should use the gps antenna in the 3g

7. imapfsr macrumors regular

imapfsr

This is exactly what I have been waiting for. Although to get Canada you have to get the North America version and it is 5.2 GB so its a pretty big sucker of space but I cant wait.

8. navigates thread starter macrumors 6502a

watch the demo.
    It Does have turn by turn directions.
    and Rerouting.

No Voice though !. It was released for a short while on the App Store and was taken down. Wonder if it will still make it.

9. Inukami macrumors 6502

10. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

I can't wait for an app like this. I believe the app store has an upper limit of 2gb file size. When I need maps the most is when I am on a trip and have a crappy internet reception. If you've ever driven through the midwestern U.S. then you would know what I mean. Plus when you're on EDGE it takes forever for the map to come up. I've missed exits due to this. Blah! Forget 3g out in the middle of nowhere. Maybe Europe, but not the U.S. We are lucky to get the GPRS dot. Forget using Google Maps when you see that...

11. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

I dont think so, at least not as we know it on gps device. It has automated route advancement, not gps turn by turn.

12. navigates thread starter macrumors 6502a

As per Appshopper it was $19 for West when it was up there for a brief moment
    http://appshopper.com/navigation/g-map-us-west

Not since it was there and removed, I'm not too optimistic that it will reappear as apps when gone are usually gone for good. We'll have to wait and see.

13. navigates thread starter macrumors 6502a

14. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

And this is what I would love the native "gps" app to do. I don't need it talking to me and stuff. I just want it to know where I am (what exact step I am on) and to automatically change to the next step when I get there. So many times, when I am trying to advance to the next step, I don't exactly know what exact step I should be on.

Or, it would be cool if the map actually moved with the blue dot. Many times I have to zoom out, the zoom back in to actually find myself. I guess I could hit the locator button again, but I'm afraid it will mess with the directions I pulled up.

15. cjandnw macrumors 6502

Hitting the locate button will not mess up your route. I usually finger scroll from current location to the next step following the line; then hit locate. It never messes up. I would love it to just auto skip to the next step and use smart zoom controls to keep current location and next step on the screen when getting close.