Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
Has anyone tried G-Map? It seems rather pricey for an iPhone app but could be worthwhile if it functions well enough to replace my GPS device.

Here is a review from MacSimum:
G-Map, a turn-by-turn GPS navigation system for the iPhone, has been updated to version 1.3.2. It’s now compatible with iPhone OS 3.0.
The upgrade sports new features and fixes, such as voice-prompted real-time turn-by-turn route guidance, pinch in/out function for map zoom in and out, and a list of exits and intersections to the destination. G-Map offers a real 3D view of intricate major urban intersections and highway junctions of 185 metro areas.
Point to any place on a map and detailed information will appear. Whatever the destination, G-Map will find it and plot your route on the map. It also sports a keyword search engine similar to Google Search using keywords
G-Map uses Navteq map data and offers diverse geographical options for customers’ needs. A special cradle for iPhone that enhances iPhone’s GPS reception and charges the battery will be coming within a few months. You can display your own favorites and POI icon on the View Map.
G-Map offers flexible trip planning by letting you add as many waypoints as possible when creating a route. It also offers a reverse routing function
G-Map US East and West are available for download from the Apple App Store for a one-time cost of US$34.95. The Canada version is $19.99.

Here is a video to see it in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oy5fBYY0I2A&feature=player_profilepage

m3coolpix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2007
Has anyone tried G-Map? It seems rather pricey for an iPhone app but could be worthwhile if it functions well enough to replace my GPS device.

Well, $34.95 is half the price of the other TBT navigation apps available so far, and it's a fair price (considering the other apps available) if that's all the territory you need.

If you factor in that you are buying only half the US maps at a time, then it's not really a bargain if you need the entire US & Canada. With the other apps available (at least the ones that don't need a data connection like G-Map/Navigon/iGO My Way), then it's a bit more, as Navigon & offers the US, Canada (and Navigon includes Puerto Rico & Virgin Islands) at $69.99, and iGO My Way offers US & Canada for $79.99.

I use Navigon, and I don't see the need any other GPS device anymore, FWIW.

upaymeifixit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2009
Don't have it, but don't like it.

I don't have the application, but I do not like it already. I like the "Navigation" apps more. I really hate the fact it's $35 per state. I would recommend waiting for the tom tom app, which should be out soon.

Scooterman1

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2008
Houston, Tx
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. And everyone has one, even the non-owners/non-users....

That being said, I think it works great, and they're upgrading all of the time. They have not stated anything yet about costing for annual map updates, and each time they've updated the Version, it has been FREE thus far. The price has gradually increased.

And the single state version IS NOT $34.95. it's $19.99.

The G-Map West and G-Map East are at version 1.3.1 not 1.3.2 and the single state versions seem to be at ver. 1.0 but OS 3.0 tested and with voice guidance.

Also, the Windshield Mount is already available on their website.
http://www.xroadgps.com/Maps/GMapforiPhone/tabid/2463/Default.aspx

They are not very good about answering email, but other than that...... it works pretty darned good.

And NO, I don't work, or have any association with them except for having bot East and West versions that I purchased while they were $24.99 each.
They state that they will be going up in price again.

Take a look at all of the reviews (current versions, not old), and look at each TBT descriptions. Then make you own choice.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
I don't have the application, but I do not like it already. I like the "Navigation" apps more. I really hate the fact it's $35 per state. I would recommend waiting for the tom tom app, which should be out soon.

Thanks:) I think I'll wait to see what TomTom's app looks like when it's released. The car kit looks cool too.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
G-Map is absolute crap. Buy Navigon you will enjoy it a million times more!

OUCH! It's $69.99 and it says that price is only good till August 15th. Wonder what the price will be than :eek:

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. And everyone has one, even the non-owners/non-users....

That being said, I think it works great, and they're upgrading all of the time. They have not stated anything yet about costing for annual map updates, and each time they've updated the Version, it has been FREE thus far. The price has gradually increased.

And the single state version IS NOT $34.95. it's $19.99.

The G-Map West and G-Map East are at version 1.3.1 not 1.3.2 and the single state versions seem to be at ver. 1.0 but OS 3.0 tested and with voice guidance.

Also, the Windshield Mount is already available on their website.
http://www.xroadgps.com/Maps/GMapforiPhone/tabid/2463/Default.aspx

They are not very good about answering email, but other than that...... it works pretty darned good.

And NO, I don't work, or have any association with them except for having bot East and West versions that I purchased while they were $24.99 each.
They state that they will be going up in price again.

Take a look at all of the reviews (current versions, not old), and look at each TBT descriptions. Then make you own choice.

Well, that would help with the price but I didn't see a version listed for my state (Ohio) :(

noah82

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2008
San Diego, CA
OUCH! It's $69.99 and it says that price is only good till August 15th. Wonder what the price will be than :eek:

Yes, it is $70, but that is NOTHING for a full featured turn by turn navigation application. It is so much clearer to understand when you need to glance over while driving. G-Map's interface is awful, and the directions are extremely inaccurate.

In the end it's up to you, but take it from a user that owns both applications, Navigon is well worth the money.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
Another vote for Navigon. Instead of purchasing a map update for my Garmin unit, i bought this app for $10 cheaper and it's just as good as my dedicated Garmin unit.

Well worth the money.

Scooterman1

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2008
Houston, Tx
Has anyone seen any info on whether Navigon will charge for future updates, or Map updates? They said they will not answer that in the FAQ on their website until a later date.

m3coolpix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2007
Has anyone seen any info on whether Navigon will charge for future updates, or Map updates? They said they will not answer that in the FAQ on their website until a later date.

Navigon is probably waiting to see what TomTom will do with map update pricing. iGO has said their maps are included until end of 2010 (which are actually supplied by Navteq, the same company as Navigon, who owns Naviteq).

I think it's a bit like fluid ATM, especially as price changes on the App Store can happen within minutes after a decision or competitor's announcement.

BryanLyle

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
If Navigon could throw out a holder with built in GPS (ala TomTom) it would be a slam dunk. Only complaint I have had with Navigon is frequent GPS signal loss.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
Yes, it is $70, but that is NOTHING for a full featured turn by turn navigation application. It is so much clearer to understand when you need to glance over while driving. G-Map's interface is awful, and the directions are extremely inaccurate.

In the end it's up to you, but take it from a user that owns both applications, Navigon is well worth the money.

Okay, thanks . . . . I'll give it another look :eek:

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
Another vote for Navigon. Instead of purchasing a map update for my Garmin unit, i bought this app for $10 cheaper and it's just as good as my dedicated Garmin unit.

Well worth the money.

You have a point . . . . seems like it would be a better choice than purchasing Garmin's map update

stockcerts

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Pensacola, FL
Personally I'm surprised anyone would wait for Tom Tom. Navigon is excellent, with a very good price. I was using a Garmin Nuvi, and Garmin wants $80- just for map updates...I bought the Navigon complete app for $70! This price is changing in a few days, and I believe those who are waiting for Tom Tom will be paying much more, when you factor in the cradle. I'm not sure what extra value people are expecting to get for all that money, plus all the waiting when you could already have a very nice navigation app. My two cents.

FearlessFreep

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Northern Virginia, USA
You have a point . . . . seems like it would be a better choice than purchasing Garmin's map update
This was my decision as well - I have two Garmin Nuvi 200's with older map sets on them. It came down to spend $75 to update the maps on one device, or buy iGo My Way or Navigon apps and have it on both iPhones since we share the same iTunes account. Kind of a no-brainer considering we'll get updated features for the Nav programs as well. I'll EBay the Garmins and will probably make up most of the cost of the app.

outcastrc

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2009
BC, Canada
I wasn't willing to pay the amount that most GPS apps are asking for. I only need gps for the odd trip. I only needed maps for Canada. So for me the 20.00 G-map Canada was the logical choice.

I used it all day today to test it out and for most of the day it was flawless. When it did give me an alternate route then I planned on taking it made sense why. I just knew better.

However on the way home I somehow managed to completely confuse it. It started out picking a road I didn't want to take. But it made sense why it would choose it. My way was about 3km straight on one road and then left for .5km. When I took the more obvious road when it re routed me it choose to zigzag around a block rather then just head up the street. As I passed each road it would reroute the zizag rather then just choose to go straight. Finally after about 10 blocks it finally admitted defeat and said go straight.

It was rather comical, none of its choices would have added much to my trip but it was a dumb route... Why would I want to drive around a block to end up back on the same street I am already on?

Now I have used a garmin for many years and it has done some really stupid routes as well so I am not too worried about G-map. 9 times out of 10 it worked perfectly. And I saved 60-80 bucks by not choosing other options.

I'd give it 4 out of 5 right now. They add landscape mode and improve routing a bit and its 5 stars all the way!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.