G-raid 4tb fan and hd noise

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Pjotr28, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Pjotr28 macrumors member

Hi,

Just received a G-raid 4tb thunderbolt drive. Next to my SSD iMac it is very audible. The fan is drawing attention and the cracking sound of the drives are terrible. Is this normal?

2. danny_w macrumors 601

Don't know about the G-Raid but my G-Drive is the same.

3. Pjotr28 thread starter macrumors member

Well my 1/5 cheaper 3tb freedom usb 3.0 drive is a bit quieter. Expected a quite drive for the money.

4. williamh macrumors regular

I have G-RAID 8TB tb, I didn't really notice the fan noise at all. I use that for sample streaming in my audio work, it's quite a silent unit for me.

5. Pjotr28 thread starter macrumors member

Well then it's time to give a call to the reseller. Thanks

6. Pjotr28 thread starter macrumors member

Hi, received a message from the reseller. No malfunctioning of the drive. The fan and drive noise are normal. Well I need a storage solution. Any opinion on another thunderbolt drive with 4tb which I can use with FCP X. Or is the g-raid the drive to buy despite the noise.

7. danny_w macrumors 601

The OWC Mercury Elite Pro Dual seemed a little quiter to me and you can buy the empty case or pre-configured with drives. The CalDigit T3 is quieter still (probably the quietest multi-drive enclosure on the market) but they only sell it with drives; however you can use 2 drives in RAID 0 or 1 and then use the 3rd drive for backup.

8. campyguy macrumors 68030

Noisy old G-RAID here too

I've got a 4th-Gen 2TB G-RAID with USB2/eSATA/FW800 interfaces that's almost 4 years old, and it's as noisy as it has been bulletproof for me. I connect via an eSATA cable with a USB3 converter. It's as noisy now as the day I bought it! The throughput has been great, and constant since Day 1 too.

I stopped using my G-RAID for video work but still use it as a Photoshop scratch disk. I've moved on to a 2-disk custom RAID0 setup with 2 M500 SSDs for video and scratch - compared to my G-RAID it's much faster, much quieter and lighter, has a smaller power brick, and not much more expensive when I figured out the labor cost savings. I'll even use my LaCie Rugged 256GB SSD for short videos before lining up my G-RAID - so much less clutter and noise. But, that's just me.