Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevin.rivers

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
This deal isn't as sweet as it was last time. However $160 for 2GB isn't bad. There are tons of reviews on Newegg from people who have installed this in their Macs. This memory DOES have a LIFETIME WARRANTY. I have it in my Intel iMac 20" and havent had any problems.

This memory will work for the following:
Intel Mac Mini
Macbook
Macbook Pro
Intel iMac

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820231069

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
I've used RAM from Newegg before in my Macs. I know some people say it can cause problems and you can't believe the reviews, but I've had pretty good luck. Their return policy is pretty good too as long as it's something that doesn't work vs. just wanting to send it back (then you're hit with a restocking fee). I don't know if I would ever use the cheap stuff like Patriot or Rosewill (never heard of G.Skill), but the Samsung and Crucial stuff always seems to work for me.

I know you don't work for them, so why the new thread? :p You could have just posted this in reply to one of the already open ones. ;)

kevin.rivers

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
solvs said:
I've used RAM from Newegg before in my Macs. I know some people say it can cause problems and you can't believe the reviews, but I've had pretty good luck. Their return policy is pretty good too as long as it's something that doesn't work vs. just wanting to send it back (then you're hit with a restocking fee). I don't know if I would ever use the cheap stuff like Patriot or Rosewill (never heard of G.Skill), but the Samsung and Crucial stuff always seems to work for me.

I know you don't work for them, so why the new thread? :p You could have just posted this in reply to one of the already open ones. ;)

Well newegg doesn't make the Ram they are a retailer. G.Skill is a good ram manufactuer. Patriot isnt bad either... Rosewill.... thats another story.

Samsung and Crucial are overpriced. Crucial more so. I posted a new thread because maybe not everyone has seen the old thread and I didn't want to dig that one up. Plus it is a different deal.

Agent69

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2005
Middleburg, Florida
Well, I know that Paul Stamatiou bought some G.Skill RAM for his MacBook and has had no problems with it. Also, a G.Skill employee is a member of the XtremeSystems Forums, which has a Mac section on it.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
kevin.rivers said:
Samsung and Crucial are overpriced.
Samsung usually, unless you get it on sale (even got some cheap Dell branded RAM that was repackaged Samsung, others are Micron, which I believe are also repackaged as Crucial). I've seen Crucial RAM at Newegg that's significantly cheaper than it is direct from Crucial and only a few dollars more than RAM by manufactures I've never heard of that have little or no reviews. Haven't looked lately, maybe that's no longer the case.

Oddly, I've known of people who have problems with better known brands like Kingston or Corsair for some reason, and not just with the cheap stuff.

Sutekidane

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2005
Most memory brands are pretty goode, even the obscure ones. I prefer Hynix and Samsung though.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Sutekidane said:
Most memory brands are pretty goode, even the obscure ones. I prefer Hynix and Samsung though.

Do these brand actually sell through retail channels?

Hynix in particular is really elusive.

yah00z

macrumors regular
May 21, 2006
well

I purchaed 2GIG's of this when it was 150 shipped. I have not had one system crash, nor have I had any kernel panics with the new ram. I love it. It tests perfect, and runs great. Besides the ram I took outta my MacBookPro, from apple, 2x512, was not that great of quality either.

jiggie2g

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2003
Brooklyn,NY
generik said:
Is G.Skill a good brand? How'd they hold up to Corsair?

LOL , well lets say the Hardcore guys at Xtremesystems don't use Corsair anymore , at least not often. G.Skill is kick ass , best ram price to performance ratio bar none. They have superb tech support. I would go G.Skill then OCZ then maybe Corsair if i can't find Mushkin at a better price.

Companies with very good tech support are.

OCZ
BFG
eVGA
G.Skill
ASUS

it5five

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2006
New York
The G.Skill is a really good deal. I got some for my MacBook a couple weeks ago (inbetween sales, my luck), and it's been working great. I tested it 2 times (just to make sure) and it came up all good.

PaulinMaryland

macrumors regular
May 17, 2006
Maryland, USA
Make that $154 shipped?

For me, the listing came up as $76.99 plus free 3-day shipping.

The description says that the memory is "unbuffered." Could this make it slower than competitors?

psziel

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2006
Chicago,Illinois
I put 2gb in each of my macs, the mini plus my new Macbook. And the difference was huge. did memtest on both and passed with flying colors. both machines are so much faster. even running office is real snappy now. so this still is a real good deal. my 2cents! :rolleyes:

kevin.rivers said:
This deal isn't as sweet as it was last time. However $160 for 2GB isn't bad. There are tons of reviews on Newegg from people who have installed this in their Macs. This memory DOES have a LIFETIME WARRANTY. I have it in my Intel iMac 20" and havent had any problems.

This memory will work for the following:
Intel Mac Mini
Macbook
Macbook Pro
Intel iMac

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820231069

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
PaulinMaryland said:
For me, the listing came up as $76.99 plus free 3-day shipping.

The description says that the memory is "unbuffered." Could this make it slower than competitors?

Are the competitors buffered?

I think the difference here is betweened "unbuffered" and "REGISTERED", but registered memory modules are like...... :eek:

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Anyway I have been waiting for someone to ask these, but how would CAS latency affect system performance? Cos if you pay attention all these modules have differing latencies...

Also what's the difference between PC2 5300 and PC2 5400?

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Lucky8 said:
SO which one is better?
Unbuffered or Registered?

You don't have a choice in this matter, you HAVE to use unbuffered.

As for performance wise unbuffered is slightly better.

Sutekidane

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2005
generik said:
Do these brand actually sell through retail channels?

Hynix in particular is really elusive.

I think they both do but not nearly as much as other copmanies. You have to remember that hynix and samsung are the top ram providers in the world, they deal mostly with electronic manufacturers directly, rather than focusing on retail outlets.

kevin.rivers

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
generik said:
Anyway I have been waiting for someone to ask these, but how would CAS latency affect system performance? Cos if you pay attention all these modules have differing latencies...

PC2-5300 is all CAS 5, except for one, which is a Simpletech module. You must have been looking at PC2-4200 and PC2-3200 modules which have latencies under 5.

CAS latency affects performance, however not as much as a higher clock. So while the 533 memory has a CAS 4, it will be outperformed(generally) by a 667 module with a 5 CAS.

However, if you could use a higher CAS on the 667 it wil perform better. So CAS does make things faster, but as I said not as much as having more clock speed.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
generik said:
100. :p

Seriously though, I believe 5400 will run at 675MHz. Most of them still run at 667 though, like 5300. Especially in a Mac where you can't really adjust the speed or timing.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
solvs said:
100. :p

Seriously though, I believe 5400 will run at 675MHz. Most of them still run at 667 though, like 5300. Especially in a Mac where you can't really adjust the speed or timing.

Hmmm... Actually instead of G-Skill I am thinking of getting the Corsair ones instead. Just don't feel too good about G-Skill, they are the new kids on the block!

Anyway does anyone know the brand of chips they use on those modules?

kevin.rivers

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
generik said:
Hmmm... Actually instead of G-Skill I am thinking of getting the Corsair ones instead. Just don't feel too good about G-Skill, they are the new kids on the block!

Anyway does anyone know the brand of chips they use on those modules?

They are far from new kids on the block. They have been around for the last 4-5 years easily in the States. And started in Taiwan in 1989.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
generik said:
Actually instead of G-Skill I am thinking of getting the Corsair ones instead.
I don't know. Corsair is supposed to be great for overclockers, but for some reason they make a special note of not supporting Macs. Especially their value RAM. Read the reviews for whatever RAM you're going to buy and if anyone has any problems with Macs, steer clear. Otherwise buy it, and if it doesn't work, send it back. Just don't tell them you have a Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.