G.Skill SSD, good or not?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mfka, Nov 9, 2009.

1. mfka macrumors regular

mfka

2. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

Like other non Intel products the write speed once used will go down and the compatibility with RAID cards can be a problem. I made my first purchase one of those and switched to Intel Postville since for all further jobs.

3. mfka thread starter macrumors regular

mfka

Thanks for your response.

That is a bit disappointing, i think i’ll pass that offer.
    The thing is that G.Skill 128 GB SSD is currently
    cheaper than Intel 80 GB by 137 €.

Thats crazy.

4. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

The Intels slow down without TRIM/GC as well and the TRIM firmware makes the G2s **** bricks..:p

I have the 120gb Vertex with firmware 1.41GC and there is no degradation in performance over time..;)

5. mfka thread starter macrumors regular

mfka

6. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

That's just the X25-M 80gb G1.

You get one with GC (Garbage Collection) since OS X doesn't support TRIM yet. GC is done natively on the drive itself, doesn't require an OS.

7. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

What is the point to confuse new user to SSDs with TRIM when it is not available on a Mac. It is true that Intel Gen2 looses the least percentage of performance of all SSDs and makes the least problems with RAID cards.

If he wants an inferior product and can live without RAID card and a slower drive he can purchase the cheaper SSD. There is usually a reason that prices differ for products.

8. mfka thread starter macrumors regular

mfka

If i wanted inferior product i wouldn’t post this question here, i would just buy it.

So i should buy G2, i already have X25-M 80gb G1 and i guess i will carbon copy my system to G2.

9. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3631
    http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3667
    http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=805

Clearly the Intel ones aren't always the fastest..

Plus with GC, the OCZ Indilinx line regains 99.5% of it's original performance, you can't do that on Intel's without TRIM. :rolleyes:

10. mfka thread starter macrumors regular

mfka

11. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

If you carefully read the papers and the conclusion you find that Intel Gen2 still has the advantage in a real world. OS X has no TRIM and is unlikely to have it any time soon. All this isn't considering compatibility.

12. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Yes but over time that advantage won't exist anymore without an OS that supports TRIM. GC doesn't require an OS so it'll always work. Also in SL apparently the commands in TRIM are already there, just not turned on.

13. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

I think the point is that the Indilinx controller drives released by OCZ are competitive with the Intel drives in a few ways. It's another option.