G.Skill Titan vs OCZ Vertex

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bugout, Mar 24, 2009.

1. bugout macrumors 6502a

I was getting a little annoyed with my titan.. The stutters starting showing up, and the writes were starting to annoy me. I went ahead and replaced it with an OCZ vertex. Here are the results:

[​IMG]
    :eek:

[​IMG]

(yes, the previous xbench is from before I upgraded the ram)

2. MacAlpha macrumors regular

Are the OCZ results for a "used" disk (ie after the disk has been filled once) or new right out of the box?

3. bugout thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. MacAlpha macrumors regular

Great to know. That is the SSD I have been looking at. I just wish they were 320Gb, though I know I really don't need the extra space.

5. RKpro macrumors 6502

Thanks for post, looks sweet!

I sold my other laptop recently, so now that I've got money I'm researching X25 vs Vertex vs. Apex benchmarks.

The x25 is supposed to be the best, but not compatible with bootcamp :(.

Anyone know how the Vertex vs Apex OCZ drives compare, I couldn't find compatible benchmarks. The vertex is costs more so it's probably better, but there was hype about the Apex on the internets earlier because it has internal raid 0 or something. So I don't know which is best

6. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

i thought flashing it wipes the drive

7. bugout thread starter macrumors 6502a

It does...

8. JGO macrumors member

bugout,

Be sure to post if you have any problems with the drive.

I imagine that there are several people waiting to see how these drives perform over time. I know that I would buy one now if I was confident of their long-term stability.

9. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

why did you fill it first then?

"I filled it first. then re-flashed it."

10. fteoath64 macrumors regular

fteoath64

Good to see the Vertex doing well in the current market as it is the only reasonably priced SSD worth buying. Its "uncached 4K writes" makes all the difference in the performance as your Xbench clearly shows the Vertex is pumping 12Mbytes/s + speeds, pretty much 10X compared to the Titan. Lots of thanks to Anandtech for making OCZ listen to his recommendation. It is good that anand with his long experience in PCs and OSes is helping the industry.

I figured the Intel drive is not that much faster. But it is also good to know that when SSD drives gets worn over time, its write performance will decay to somewhere between 25% to 33% slower than optimum. This just mean that some users will upgrade the SSD almost every year ...

11. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

that's odd that it's not compatible. any reason why its not and others are?

12. emt1 macrumors 65816

Flashing a SSD destroys all of the data, but it doesn't actually write over the data. Filling it first was an effective way to simulate a used SSD rather than a brand new SSD which has never had data written to it.

13. RKpro macrumors 6502

I remember reading on these forums some people said its because of the firmware in the x25, or some compatibility issues with MBPs...

14. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

That vertex looks quite good. On the Titan though did you experience those stutters on OSX or in bootcamp or in a virtual machine?

15. bugout thread starter macrumors 6502a

OSX and bootcamp.

16. steffi macrumors 6502a

OCZ Vertex has slow random writes right?

So isn't the only issue with the Vertex vs X-25M the slow random writes on the Vertex?

Where does that show up in terms of use then?

17. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

Doh. Well you're the first to notice it. I wonder if you got a lemon drive or if all the drives have that stutter on OSX.

I wouldn't really call that slow. 12 mb/sec for an uncached random 4K write is still way faster than most HDs. And for a SSD that's still a good number. A lot of older generation SSDs were in the lower single digit numbers for MB/s 4k writes.

18. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

huh i wonder why apple hasent done anything about this. or hell why intel hasent done anything about this. intel is loosing out on a major market and apple is being kind of dumb not letting us put in the drive.