G-Tech, Fantom or OWC?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by buxtone17, Jan 16, 2009.

1. buxtone17 macrumors regular

I'm looking at getting a pair of 500gb external hard drives to back up photos. I'm running a PowerBook G4 with a 1.5GHz processor and 1GB of RAM. Old, I know, but I don't have the cash for a new one.

Anyways, I've narrowed my search down to three HDs but I wanted to get some opinions before I buy:

-G-Technology G-Drive Q

-Fantom G-force Quad

-OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro

Your thoughts?

2. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

They're all good picks. My Fantom triple interface runs as well as the day I bought it and is fairly speedy and well-designed, to boot. Only problem with it is sound. Its fan (always on) is louder than my mac pro.

3. buxtone17 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for that.

Any suggestions for other products would be much appreciated as well.

4. GregE macrumors 6502

5. fa8362 macrumors 65816

I buy Fantom only, never a problem. Don't buy a drive with a fan...too noisy. Shop around for price. I just bought a 1 TB Fantom Green drive for $124 (eSATA & USB), $99 after rebate (buy.com...NewEgg has it for $129), so that price at Amazon for only 500 gb is WAY too high.

6. buxtone17 thread starter macrumors regular

I need to research RAID 1 more I suppose.

I know all about disk failure, but if something else goes wrong with a RAID drive, would the disks be safe? Is it possible that a power issue on a RAID drive could knock out both disks?

Either way, I think I feel more comfortable with separate disks in separate enclosures...

7. fa8362 macrumors 65816

Also, I know from personal experience that most raid drives sound like jet engines due to fan noise. Again, buy a fanless aluminum enclosure drive like the fantom you referenced...just don't get scammed on the price.

8. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

I just got the owc dual drive enclosure. Fan is rather loud. Luckily they sent
    me the wrong one so I can exchange for free. Going to go with a single enclosure that doesn't have a fan. Way too loud!

9. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

I second that, the OWC Mercury Elite-Al dual drive enclosures are way too noisy. Don't know why they don't use quieter fans. I have mine sitting behind my 24" iMac and the noise is still irritating.