G1 Google flop!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Chalk another failed attempt up for all iphone competitors (I can't say I didn't see it coming).

Next challenger, the storm. I definitely, definitely think this will be the best iphone competitor (especially if verizon makes it free as is rumored. Vodafone already has). I think it looks quite sleek, and will lure some businessmen due to the blackberry name.

Mind you it's not going to be as big as the iphone, but I am interested to see exactly how it fairs out. I think the most exciting thing about this competition is now it further pushes apple to try harder! :D

Don't get lazy on us apple!

Links:
    http://www.phonesreview.co.uk/2008/1...one-is-a-flop/

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/ptech/10/27/cnet.tmobile.g1/index.html

http://www.product-reviews.net/2008/10/23/t-mobile-g1-launch-a-flop-compared-to-apple-iphone/

2. MotionxxUSxx macrumors 6502

I haven't seen or tried the G1, just curious why you think it is a flop.

3. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

I'd love to see an article or reference describing the G's flop...

4. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

You title your thread G1 flop but provide no information.

5. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Yeah, this was a pretty stupid and uniformed post. I have actually used the G1 and I think it is a pretty cool phone. Definitely a fantastic alternative to the iPhone. The problem is T Mobile. I think it was a bit premature to put out a 3G phone when they really don't have much 3G service. And serivce for EDGE through T Mobile is pretty hit and miss. If it does fail in the US, it's likely due to T Mo. They should have released it on the Sprint network first.

As for the Android platform, I this this will do very well. As soon as it hits China, which it's going to do shortly, it will be a hit.

6. efp1 macrumors 6502

efp1

Same as everyone else... Why do you think it's a flop?

I would love to try one and personally, I think it's a great alternative for the iPhone.

7. detz macrumors 65816

It's early...I'm afraid that once more phones come out using the same OS there will be some major competition for the iPhone since it's an Apple or bust product.

8. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

You should try it. I actually really liked it. If it wasn't on T Mobile, I would have probably got it instead of the iPhone. It is cheap; $150. It's pretty simple, but responsive. I liked the trackball. But, most of all, it has Android, which is open. I think we all underestimate the value of having an open platform instead of just being spoonfed whatever Steve allows us to have.

9. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

And that will be fine. In 18 months, if there is a superior product, on the network I want, I will switch. I love Apple products, but I am not married to them like some of the people around there. If there's something better, I won't hesitate to switch. I don't walk around with blinders on. But, right now, the iPhone is the best option available right now in the US.

10. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

Some apple haters at work can't wait for the Storm to come out and put Apple out of biz :D they say its going to destroy Apple's iPhone and they want to make a bet with me that the iPhone will be obsolete come 2010. "Give it one more year before ATT and Apple discountinue the iPhone and Apple will have nothing but their stupid computers and music players" :D :D

11. gr8whtd0pe macrumors 6502

gr8whtd0pe

12. 7on macrumors 601

7on

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

14. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

15. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I think Android will have an impact and do pretty well. It'll be up to users to choose their platform/phone.

I'm curious to see how the open source project will work and how they'll make sure apps are virus free, etc

16. Al2009 macrumors member

The phone is not the prettiest, but I was playing around with it at the T mobile store. It seems pretty cool. To each his own I guess.:)

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I think you mean "open source";)

(google is set to implement many of the policies so many apple fans whined about, including the kill switch)

18. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I don't know about it "failing", but it's definitely ugly. And the commercial I keep seeing for it is pretty dumb.

"Ooh!! A phone with Google search?? How revolutionary!!"

Heh Heh.

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Lol yea the "The new G1...with GOOGLE!" makes me facepalm every time I've seen it.

20. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

If the Storm expects to compete with the iPhone, why in the heck did they leave out WiFi? Not a smart move if you ask me...

21. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

Hmm. Funny, almost all of the folks posting comments on the referenced review all are in favor of the G1. In fact, only one is even partially in agreement with the tone of the "review", and he even is happy with the G1, overall.

I hope the G1 is successful. Perhaps then we'll get some iPhone updates that actually matter -- stability, push, CP, blah blah blah.

As the referenced article had none, I still welcome any evidence of the G1's "flop".

22. redman042 macrumors 68020

In time it will be a great OS. Apple did something that probably no one else can duplicate - they hit one out of the park with their very first swing.

I don't like the hardware. The usability of the physical keyboard is piss-poor. It's too flat and no key travel.

23. iblastoff macrumors 6502

thats basically like EVERY SINGLE APPLE AD for all of their products. apple likes to tell you simple things like remote disc sharing for their macbook air is REVOLUTIONARY. yah like i haven't been able to share disk drives from remote computers for years upon years on my windows computers. or that making crappy ipod shuffles with no screen is considered super fun and spontaneous.

come on now.