G1 Google Phone...Any Good ??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fab5freddy, Dec 15, 2008.

1. fab5freddy macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

Has anyone tried the new G1 Google Phone ?

How is it and can it compare to the iPhone ?

2. ex8886 macrumors member

I had a chance to play with it for a couple minutes this weekend. It looks much better than in the pictures and it feels pretty cool. The UI is a little different and takes getting use to, but it seems pretty quick. I would suggest that you go to the t-mobile store and take a look at it. But if you've had an iPhone before, I'm not sure that you'll be blown away or anything. I like my iPhone better, but it seems like a pretty decent alternative.

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

REALLY a case of you having to decide if you like it or not.

4. TheMBC macrumors 6502

Had it.
    Didn't like it.
    Trying to go back to the iPhone.

5. germanguy macrumors regular

A friend of mine has it. I just love the shopsavvy application on the G1. Scans the barcode extremely accurately and gives you results of prices of a product both online and in stores. Tells you where the stores are around you that carry that product at that price. No application on the iphone comes close to that. But overall, i still like the iphone better.

6. fab5freddy thread starter macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

i am just having terrible call reception on my iPhone in NYC,
    and am considering switching to T-mobile with a G1 phone.

Would this give me better reception ?

7. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Might actually get worse reception as the T-Mobile network isn't the most robust in the world. I'd often get no signal with my Sidekick in places where my Pearl did.

8. WRXJIM macrumors newbie

I have an "unhacked" iphone on T-Mo, and the wife has the G1.

They are fairly similar in basic features...

If you like having your music with you, get used to the Goolges WHACK music organization!!! Definatly not as smooth as the iPhone.

Speed wise they are similar, (I dont get 3G with my iPhone, but the edge is fine)

they both have their pros and cons, the Beta software is a bit fickle, but it will get better.

The free apps, and open to everyone is a HUGE bonus, and when Apple decide to loosen up a little the iPhone will catch up a bit.

My wife loves it, but has never had a "smart phone" before so it was going to be a learning curve either way.

I struggle with it sometimes because Im so used to the workings of the iPhone.

oh, and the G1 is having big issues with push emails from exterior mail (not Gmail) at the mo... but they say it will be fixed with the next update... we will see I guess.

Havnt had any major reception issues... a few shady spots in a mall in northern WA, but generally is fine. (we were with Verizon before)
    We are both Flight Attendants so get to test reception all over the US ;)

If you have anything specific let me know, and I can let you know.

:apple:

9. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

It's funny, because a kid I know got one, and he was showing it around in class. And 2 weeks later, it broke.

10. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

It looks like a brick!!
    Havent seen it in person tho..

11. WRXJIM macrumors newbie

it's narrower and only barely thicker than the iPhone.

The buttons at the bottom kind of ruin the clean lines which make it look bulkier than the iPhone.

The slide out keyboard can take some getting used to. My wife can fly on it though.

It's a decent phone. I still prefer my iPhone though. :) :apple:

12. mrmayor92 macrumors 6502

im thinking of buying the unlocked developer version along with my new iphone 3g

i like both phones

13. mets1125 macrumors regular

I played with my cousins a bit was not crazy about it. My cousin returned his and went back to his 1g unlocked iphone.

14. rumourguy macrumors member

I love google. chrome is the only browser I use in vista and the apps are great. there website services are excellent and google cal now syncing with ical via caldev is the freeking bomb