G2, G3, 510 or Vertex 2/3 in Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spooky69, Mar 26, 2011.

1. spooky69 macrumors member

I can find a G2 160Gb that works out to £1.25/Gb and a Vertex 2 240Gb that works out to £1.31/Gb. Obviously far cheaper than the 510 and the Vertex 3 (once it becomes available). No idea yet on what price and capacity the G3 will have if it does actually become available.

So, on a 2010 i7 Macbook Pro, would I notice a real-world difference between the 510 and the G2? I am assuming that the G3 will be similar to the G2.

Would there be a real-world and noticeable difference between the Vertex 2 and the G2 or the 510 on my machine?

I realise that I am restricted to SATA II but wondered if the newer drives would provide a noticeable difference in speed or if it is better to get an older drive for less money.

I use my machine for the usual stuff along with CS5 for image and web work and some video encoding.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

In everyday usage, you won't notice the difference between different SSDs. I would just get a SATA 3Gb/s SSD to save some $.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Read this review of the 510 and note the test charts include 510 at both SATAII and SATAIII connection. The short answer is on a SATAII connection like you have there will be no perceivable difference and it is a waste of money to go Intel 510 over X25-M.

In the same Anand review note the reliability data for the different brands.

4. spooky69 thread starter macrumors member

Inclined to agree with that. This could mean the G3 if it ever comes out and if it does offer better cost/Gb. Maybe we will know more about this on Monday and it might help to decide matters, otherwise it comes down to the reliability of the Intel against the higher capacity of the Vertex 2.

Very tempted to go with the G2 for that money but really wanted more capacity.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It looks like G3s will be released on Monday (link). That 300GB is expensive but price per GB isn't that insane.

6. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

If you can save a lot of money then go ahead and get a SATA II drive. If you plan on using the drive through multiple upgrades of computers, then buying a SATA III drive and switching it among machines would be more of a future investment. Of course for your usage it may not matter that much. Just a different take on the situation.

7. spooky69 thread starter macrumors member

I didn't want to drop below 240Gb but the reliability of the G2 is obviously attractive. If the architecture of the G3 is the same but with higher capacity then it could be a good option - I think the G3 is going to be all about the price - if they don't bring it out at a good price then it seems rather pointless.

8. brentsg macrumors 68040

I'm a big believer in reliability and trouble-free operation. Also, though I don't travel a lot.. the reason I have a notebook is so that I can work when I am away.

For that reason I just swapped the Intel X25M-160 from my Mac Pro into my new 2011 13" MBP.

I'll end up ordering something new for my MP as well, but I'm willing to take a bit more risk there. First of all, it's much easier if I need to pull it out and flash it, etc. Second.. I'm sure to have a backup immediately handy in the event of any failure.

Screen resolution aside, the 13" is now a little beast with the SSD and 8GB RAM.

9. spooky69 thread starter macrumors member

I'm seeing the 300GB G3 listed on a supplier site at £575 - G2 it is then!