G3 300 desktop compatible with modern monitors?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by syc23, Feb 16, 2011.

1. syc23 macrumors member

My dad was having a clearout of his garage and as I've moved out for nearly 7 years now, he called and asked what I wanted to do with my old G3 which is has been boxed and doing nothing since 2003.

He's not too bothered if I just leave it there but I've had thoughts about selling it but need to see if there's any files I need to remove before doing that. It was purchased in 1998 with a Lacie 21" monitor which I got rid of many years ago.

Can anyone advise if the machine could be connected up to any modern monitor or even a plasma TV via the VGA?

2. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Is it Beige or Blue and White?

Depending on which one it is, you can connect it using this adapter (Beige) or directly with VGA output (B&W). But your results may vary depending on needed resolution. These machines have old graphics cards which won't support any widescreen aspect ratio.

If you're a desperate ;) you can always buy Radeon 9200 PCI for Mac (sometimes they're quite cheap on eBay) to have DVI + VGA :)

3. syc23 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. It's the beige model - I need to go and see what the connections are in the box but I'm sure the adapter is the same as the weblink.