G3 and G4 ibook question

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by borg, Jul 21, 2008.

1. borg macrumors newbie

hello i recently purchaced a lot of and G4 mac book i book parts and i sumed everyiting up and i have enough parts to build 2 fully functional Ibooks i was curious how much i would be able to upgrade one after its complete iv searched and didnt come up with much, one im not sure processor speed of the G4's but someone said i could put up to 1gig of ram and up to a 160 gig harddrive in there, anyone care to comment, i have built and repaired laptops and desktops before this is my first mac that iv sorta purchaced and assembeled

2. janey macrumors 603

janey

It actually depends on the hardware..you'd have to be more specific.

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Yes to what janey said. The amount of RAM you can toss on depends on the board itself - some maxxed out at 512, others more. The ibook boards all originally had a sticker on the board itself with the processor speed.

4. borg thread starter macrumors newbie

oh ok, well i just discovered the harddrives are blank, am i going to have to pay an arm and a leg to get a copy of the OS ?

5. superman193 macrumors regular

Go on TPB and get a copy of Panther.... Apple doesnt care that you steal a copy of an OLD OS, they could care less.

6. 11800506 macrumors 65816

Well they probably won't run Leopard (10.5) well so depending on the specs I'd suggest Tiger (10.4) for the G4 and Panther (10.3) for the G3 which you would probably find pretty cheaply on eBay since they're older OSs.

7. borg thread starter macrumors newbie

TPB whats that ? is that like one of those bittorrent thingys ?

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

We don't do links to download sites here.

IBook G4s take DDR SODIMMs, will take one 1 GB SODIMM plus the soldered on memory

iBook G3s take PC133 SODIMMs, and will take one 512 MB SODIMM plus the soldered on memory