G3 B&W to G4

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
Out of ceriousity I am making this thread. Since all PM Oven Door cases (excluding the MDD) are the same layout, Is it possible to use say a QuickSilver Motherboard inside the case of a B&W G3? (and the as well as any other G4 model before the MDD?

G4fanboy

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2013
Andalucia Spain
Out of ceriousity I am making this thread. Since all PM Oven Door cases (excluding the MDD) are the same layout, Is it possible to use say a QuickSilver Motherboard inside the case of a B&W G3? (and the as well as any other G4 model before the MDD?
No, the internal posts are different between the models.
You can put a G4 PCI MB on a G3 B&W. The boards are the same but the firmware and the ADB port.

Probably is even possible to use a Sawtooth MB (4 slots) inside a B&W case, but noone has made it AFAIK

Last edited:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
You can put a G4 PCI MB on a G3 B&W. The boards are the same but the firmware and the ADB port.

Probably is even possible to use a Sawtooth MB (4 slots) inside a B&W case, but noone has made it AFAIK
A PCI G4 yes, but not a Quicksilver or anything newer than a PCI graphics.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
It would be much easier to switch the external plastic parts on B&W G3-Gigabit Ethernet machines than to modify the posts.

bunnspecial

macrumors 604
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
The plastic is some opaque metallic paint on the inside of clear plastic I think. Either that or it is an opaque metallic-look plastic sheet adhered to it like in the Apple Pro Keyboards.
As I'm typing this, I have a plastic side panel(only) from a Quicksilver lying next to me.

It looks to me to be two-piece injected molded plastic, with the opaque part being molded inside a clear outer shell.