G3 battery problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sandy Santra, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Sandy Santra macrumors 6502

Someone gave me a sweet G3 Powerbook Wallstreet. Machine runs great. Speakers, software, CD-ROM, everything. Only problem is the battery.

First time I plugged it in, the machine apparently slowly charged the battery overnight up from 1/5 to a full charge, according to the lights on the outside and the display at the bottom if the screen.

But the battery icon at the top of the screen in the menu bar was red; and when I turned it on the next day, the menu bar battery icon had a big "X" through it. Furthermore, now the bay icon on the bottom bar says there's nothing in the left bay!

I'd really like to pop the battery and the connections for corrosion, but can't figure out how to do this. (My first time with a G3.)

Any info appreciated!

2. Dekimasu macrumors regular

Do you know the usage pattern of the person who gave it to you? Is there any reason to think that the battery hasn't simply reached the end of its life?

Google found this as far as replacements -- can't speak to reliability or efficacy. This may be helpful for hints on access (repair guides with photos, not one strictly for the battery though).