G3 Blue and White Help Needed!

mac not my fault

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2019
I need some help with start up software for my G3 blue and white.

Anyone got one of these that can help?

HELP!!

timidpimpin

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
You don't explain a single detail about what the specific issue is. So how can anyone possibly help you when we don't even know what's wrong?

Reactions: bjar

RhianB

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2016
505 USA
I think he’s asking for a system disc.

His b&w can most likely boot tiger, so I’d head over to the Macintosh garden, dl a 10.4.11 tiger image, burn it to dvd & install it.

That or if you want to run classic, dl the 9.2.2 universal image & do the same.

Of course you could find a ppc disc of either on eBay and go that route too. They do look nice standing on a ppc software collection shelf.

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: tevion5

mac not my fault

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2019
It no longer works. "Bomb" is all I get asking for a restart. Never goes away shows up every time I restart.

Currently I have G4 startup software on a disk. The icon shows on the desktop and it won't trash. I have the disk.

I would like to remove the operating software and do a clean install. Even G3 operating software if I can find a disk.

I cannot install OS X for reasons so please don't suggest it.

I don't know how to do a clean install.

Thank you.

bunnspecial

macrumors 604
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Put a boot disk in the disk drive and hold C on the keyboard while starting.

This will force the computer to boot off the CD-ROM drive if the disk in there is bootable.

If you can't get the drive open, hold down the mouse button while powering on and it should open.

B&W G3s shipped with OS 8.5.5. Unless you have a specific reason for needing OS 8.x(if you do, I suggest running the 8.5.5 install and then upgrading to 8.6), I'd suggest going straight to OS 9. I prefer to use a 9.2.1 retail disk and upgrade to 9.2.2(Apple never released a 9.2.2 retail disk-the closest you can get is the 9.2.2 restore disk that shipped with Quicksilvers and a few other G4s, which works on a lot of computers but I don't think a B&W G3). There's also the Mac OS 9 Lives 9.2.2 universal install, which is probably the easiest route.

Forum rules prohibit posting links to downloads of any of this software, but disk images can be found on the internet from reputable sites.