G3 boot issue

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jamie-tylo, Mar 26, 2009.

1. jamie-tylo macrumors newbie

Hi,

I bought a G3 iMac about a year ago as a spare computer, and had tried to remove a disk partition set by the previous user. Now when it boots after the apple logo the log in screen flashes for a second and then disappears, then the icon changes to the spinning beach ball and stays there forever...

I assume it is trying to boot from the partitionthat i removed and is confused in somway, can I reset this? or will i need to boot from another device?

Maybe i'll need to boot from an ext HD?

Any help appreciated!

Thanks

Jamie

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

If you can get as far as the login screen, it's definitely running the right partition.

Given that it's a spare computer, is there anything on there that you'd miss if you formatted the drive? What OS is it running?

3. jamie-tylo thread starter macrumors newbie

NO, would be happy to format, how do i do that before boot? It was (laughably) trying to run osx, but i'd be happy to go back to os9, though i'll have to rummage around to try and find a copy of any os cds!

4. jamie-tylo thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I've just downloaded and made a bootable cd of puppy linux which i'm going to use on thi machine...

How do I boot from this cd? holding down 'c' on boot isn't working... Also, how do i format the hard disk outside of an operating system?

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Laughably? That depends how fast your computer is. My iBook G3 500 MHz/576 MB runs Tiger without too much trouble.

Holding C on startup should be all you need. Try holding the option key instead. You should be presented with a boot menu with the CD listed as an option.

6. jamie-tylo thread starter macrumors newbie

Brilliant, thanks. I got in using the option key and told it to boot from the correct partition. How do i go about performing a format and installing linux now? Or os9, but I assume os9 still costs money? :)

btw specs

350mhz/320mbram

7. ElectroGhandi macrumors regular

ElectroGhandi

You got Puppy Linux to boot on a PowerPC computer? I have only gotten it to work on x86 machines... :confused:

8. jamie-tylo thread starter macrumors newbie

It wouldn't boot.. I thought it may have been a problem with the iso image, but maybe it wasn't that at all!