G3 BW & wireless card, limited to Mac?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by TomBud, Apr 1, 2008.

1. TomBud macrumors newbie

I have a G3 BW, 400mhz, 1gb ram. I would like to add wireless since it's away from a wired connection. Am I limited to the Mac-compatible pci cards? I have panther OS on it and can upgrade to tiger but hear that it runs best in panther so I'll wait. I've seen some drivers that you can buy which will make a select number of non-mac wireless pci cards work, but not really sure how well these function - Thoughts? Experience?. Plus I don't want to sink a ton of money in it, it's running very well now, actually quite well. I hope to spend less than $30 for a used or new wireless b-g pci card if possible. Does anyone have any budget cards that they are using sucessfully? B, G wireless specs are fine, I don't have N.
    Thanks for the help
    TomBud

2. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Pretty sure you are limited to Mac PCI cards.... here's one, cheapest on OWC, though it's $50, not $30.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer Technology/MXP802NPCI/

And by the way, Tiger does run better than Panther on Beige and B&W G3s.... especially if you get a Radeon PCI card and use the PCI Extreme hack to enable Quartz Extreme support (graphics card will do the GUI work).

3. OlBlueHair macrumors regular

I can't remember where online I saw this, but I had the same question recently...just google it. I read somewhere that there are some pci cards that are the same brand as the airport card is and they work and are cheaper than those "mac only" cards...but don't take my word on it, look around the web.