g3 clamshell upgrades...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ellevy12, Feb 3, 2008.

1. ellevy12 macrumors newbie

hello
    i have a clamshell g3 300 mhz, 192 ram , 30 hdd.
    runs panther OK.

i would like to know if it's possible to install inside a 512 sdram (as i know only 256 is ok in the tech spec)

anyway, does 256 would fit for running panther smooth? does 256 would fit for tiger , or should i use 512?

anyway, thanx for the answers , i would happy to hear if anyone has those clamshells, since in israel it's very hard to find them.
    also , the battary is like 12% so i probably order a new from the u.s....
    thanX
    elad.

2. Designer1 macrumors member

I used to have a clamshell and I know I was able to put a 512mb chip in it. Unfortunately, I can not remember what OS I put on it. You should probably check out what the minimum specs are for the OS you want to use. Apple is pretty accurate with that, though you can sometimes push some of the old G3s to run a newer OS.

3. ellevy12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok.
    if my battary doesnt charge over 12% -> it's shows like charge and when goes to 12% it's shows like it is plug from the adapter. it means it's dead or a problem with the charger?

4. applefan1997 macrumors 6502

Glad to see someone's still using their clamshell. I just added a Combo Drive to mine.

If your battery won't charge, try resetting the PMU, PRAM, and NVRAM.
    The iBook can take 512MB. 256 is fine for Panther, 512 is even better. Tiger may be very slow on it anyway, so 512 is best.

5. ellevy12 thread starter macrumors newbie

i tried to do those resets ( nvram and pmu) , i will try pram later. tougth i think it's the old battary.
    however i think the battray even it's old , should go to 100% , am i right ? probably hold 5 sec , but should go 100...

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant