G3 does not recognize network card (OS 9.2)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jhood2880, Jul 31, 2008.

1. jhood2880 macrumors newbie

I have acouple questions.. First i have a powerpc G3 Server running OS 9.2.. I have an onboard (on the motherboard) network and a additional network card. I have tried both ports and can not seem to see the network or cant connect to the internet (i am new to apple). Any suggestions? Also i am looking for suggestions on what to do with the server. I am new to the server world but want to play around with it but dont know what to do. Also keep in mind this is the only apple on my network. All other computers are IBM Comp. Thanks

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Is this:

http://apple-history.com/?page=gallery&model=serverg3&performa=off&sort=date&order=ASC

What you have? What is your network configuration (i.e. to what specific upstream device is the computer connecting)?

The basic procedure should be like this...

Per this.

If that isn't working, either very specific details on what you get when you do each step or some screenshots might help....

3. jhood2880 thread starter macrumors newbie

I will try that. the link you gave me is the right mac. Thanks i will update you on what happens if i get it to connect or not. Also any suggestions on what to do with the server?

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Erm, recycle it? :eek: It's ten years old... I dunno. I am personally opinion that using it is rather wasteful -- it's probably quite energy inefficient, particularly if you're using it with a CRT, and it's doing the work that a micro-ATX / embedded design computer that consumes 5-10 watts of power could easily do. But if you want to have fun with it, then I guess play around with it.

5. jhood2880 thread starter macrumors newbie

I probably should recycle it. But i am trying to learn new software (new to me) and just learn more. Then usually i end up putting newer software on them and letting the kids use them for the internet. I just put Ubuntu on a old Dell Optiplex and it runs great. So i think for experiments and playing around and the kids they are worth keeping around. Considering i have 8 conmputers my girlfriend would love for me to start getting rid of them.. LOL