G3 doesn't power

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by witlit, Aug 7, 2008.

1. witlit macrumors newbie

My G3 will not turn on. Is there something I can check or do I have to take it in for repairs. I didn't do anything unusual before it happened.

2. Metuas macrumors regular

Metuas

Whoo boy. Lots of things to say here.

1) There are a fair amount of G3s. There's the Power Macintosh (beige / blue+white), PowerBook (Kanga, Wallstreet, Lombard, Pismo), iMac (ranging in speed from 233-700MHz...I don't even remember them, anyway there's about eleven colors, and I can't remember them all), iBook (clamshell - 233-466MHz, coming in blueberry, tangerine, indigo, lime, and graphite, and the white model, which came 500-900Mhz). I think that's it, without mentioning the G3 upgrades. Ranging from the years 1997-2003, you're going to have a lot of variety, especially considering the range of machines they made with the G3.

2) G3s are ooooooold. The most recent G3s are the iBooks, which I believe were finally replaced by a G4 in 2003. Some can run Tiger, but most have to stick with Panther or Jaguar, and one (the Kanga) does not even support OS X! Finding someone to repair your G3 will be difficult and most likely more expensive than the value of the machine.

3) That said, you can do a few things to figure out what's wrong. If you hear anything happen when you press the power button (i.e. CD/DVD drive spins, hard drive noise, fan noise, your PSU is obviously working. If not, unplug the power cable and reconnect it. If you hear a click (a little bit like a light switch being flicked on) that signals that the PSU is probably in good shape.

In any case, if the power is on, but no activity occurs, it's most likely the logic board. That's probably enough to be the kiss of death as for such an old machine parts are harder to find and may even be more expensive. Getting someone to do it for you might also turn out to be expensive, if you are not familiar with the innards of your mac.

Unless you dearly love your G3, I would suggest finding a new use for it. If it's an iMac, you can get a cheap 15" LCD, tear out the internal components (being extremely careful with the CRT, as it can remain charged even after months without power) and use it as a screen for another computer, or turn it into one of the famous macquaria.

If it's a beige PM, there's probably little you can do. It's a glorified brick. A B&W is a little better, since the case is at least attractive. You could put the internals of another computer in its awesome looking case.

A later iBook G3, even if it's dead, may fetch a little on eBay for those looking for parts/repair. Powerbooks likewise.

That's all I've got. Good luck with whatever you decide to do, and consider upgrading to a more modern Mac if you're still testing the Mac world. If you're looking for an inexpensive Mac that will still serve your needs in a few years time, consider a refurb/used Mac mini. Apple sells the current gen one for $499, and getting it from craigslist or eBay for as little as $400 for the Intel revisions.

3. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

Power supply probably died. I'd say fish out your files and it's time for an upgrade.