G3 help needed, disc stuck in drive

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by bogan, Oct 18, 2008.

1. bogan macrumors newbie

hey

im a mac n00b and have just bought a G3 at a yard sale with no keyboard or mouse. when I switch it on a folder with a flashing question mark pops up on the screen. i am assuming this means there is a disc in the drive which it cant read . is there anyway to eject the disc without a keyboard so I can see if it actually works? or can any usb keyboard be plugged into it to do this and if so what buttons do i press?

cheers

2. maccam macrumors 6502a

maccam

Hi!!

You don't have a CD in there :D

What that means though, is there's no operating system on it.
    What are the specs on the machine?? (It should be on the bottom).

3. bogan thread starter macrumors newbie

cheers for that, I'm assuming it's going to be a mission to find a copy of MacOS 9? On the bottom it says its 400MHz, 256MB, 10GB and DVD drive.

Have just tried inserting a disc again but as soon as i pushed one into the slot it felt like i was putting it on a grinding wheel which still leads me to believe theres a disc already in there? Or am I not doing it right?

Sorry for the n00b questions

cheers

4. Mac SK macrumors member

Is this a slot load Imac you got, It sounds that way, grinding when you insert a disc. Your going to need a Mac key board,any good usb mouse will work. When you insert the OS disc you hold down the C key to boot from the dics. Someone may have removed the Hard drive. After you boot from the disc and no HD icon is on the desk top open the disc window and open drive setup to find the HD.
    You know if this is an Imac you have to upgrade the firmwear before upgrading to OS 10 or you can kill it.

See the little hole on the right of the cd slot,use a bent paper clip and insert into the hole theres a button back there to eject any disc.

5. *old-guy* macrumors regular

Just an observation but I'll be covered in goose fat and made to wear a thong (NOT a pretty sight on a 58 year old fat, bald guy, lol) if I can ever find a paperclip when I need one.
    Mmmm, Is this a sales opportunity?
    Buy a box full and sell the rest on eBay at 3 cents each + $39 postage like all the powersellers seem to do. :D:(

6. three macrumors 6502a

three

If the CD is stuck inside the iMac, get a paper clip and find that little slot that ejects the disc. I think the slot is on the right side of the CD drive.