G3 help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by G3 Ownz, Sep 2, 2007.

1. G3 Ownz macrumors newbie

ok guys, so i recently came across a free G3. The trey drive was brocken so i went in to try to fix it, now after i did that it wouldnt turn on again!? It was working fine before i opened her up but now nuthing! any suggestions!?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Erm... can you be more descriptive? Are you sure there were no loose power or drive cables after your attempted fix? When you say it doesn't turn on, what exactly happens? Does the power light come on? Does the drive spin up? Does the fan spin up? Do you get as far as a grey (or whatever) screen on the display?

For that matter, is this a PowerMac or an iMac?

3. G3 Ownz thread starter macrumors newbie

ummm no nothing happens at all, i hold the power, and absulutly nothing happens, it is a imac, ive been back in her about 21 times just making sure the cables are tight, i did notice there is a tiny batery in there by the trey drive does that have to do anything?

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Please use complete sentences... none of us are mind readers.

Do you mean a battery like a watch battery? When you say "in there by the trey drive," is it seated in a battery mount, or just sitting in the case? :confused: There's a clock battery in the computer... I am having trouble finding you a link on where the mount for it is on the motherboard, but it should be pretty obvious.

If it's dead, you can see this article:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86181

5. G3 Ownz thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry, yea it is in a battery mount, so idk?? and the computer was working perfectly before i went in there so i have no idea!

6. G3 Ownz thread starter macrumors newbie

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hmmm, I ran across a few threads here and there, but they seem to say kind of random and different things. I'm not sure. Some suggestions they make...and I'm not saying these make complete sense to me:

Unplug the power cable, Pull the RAM out and also that backup battery you were talking about; wait a minute and put them back in, and then try restarting.

I don't understand what the pulling the RAM part has to do with anything, but I think the idea of this is to force a PRAM reset when you can't do it from the keyboard.

Sorry, and good luck! :)

8. G3 Ownz thread starter macrumors newbie

yea that didnt work! this is pissing me off so much!! it worked fine before i opened her up!!!