Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

awayawayaway

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2008
London, UK
I have just fitted an airport card to my G3/600 imac. I have fitted the card properly and Mac OS recognises it, but it does not pick up any signal. I reopened the mac to check i had conntected the antenna which i have, but the imac still doesnt pick up any signal!

pllleeeassee help!

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Is Airport turned on? Do you have the AirPort status in menu bar? Makes easier to access it.

System Preferences / Network / Airport / Configure
CHECK: Show AirPort status in menu bar

awayawayaway

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2008
London, UK
yep airport status is in the menu bar and airport is on. It just doesnt bring up any of the wireless networks that are avaliable. My wireless connection is working because my intel imac uses that signal

thesdx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2007
Which kind of AirPort card is it? If it's a really old one, it won't recognize B/N signals.

fgreco

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2007
I have the imac with 600MHz also. It did recognize my signal. I use the original airport card also (really old one). I had no problem maybe your router doesnt support 802.11b just like the message above me says.

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
It would be pretty strange for a router NOT to output an 802.11b signal, unless you went out of your way to turn it off. Can you get into your router and check that it is in a B/G compatible mode? Do you have any other 802.11b deviced that you can use to check the signal?

Can you double check your antenna again? I seem to remember alot of posts saying that the antenna was difficult to plug into those older cards, and that it often times isn't pushed in all of the way.

Sounds like you have done everything else right...

This is OS X right?

awayawayaway

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2008
London, UK
Yep it is OX! i will check my router settings. It is the orignal airport card. My g4 Power book and my Intel imac work fine. I think it might be something to do with the router, i have a net gear range max router.

i will check the router and then post an up date!

thanks guys you have been really helpful :D

awayawayaway

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2008
London, UK
I Just checked my router settings and the mode is on auto 108mbps mode (netgear router) which means that it has both 802.11g and 802.11b and 108mbps can be used

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
What kind of security/encryption are you running on the router (ie WEP, WPA, WPA2)?

Have you tried turning the security/encryption off on the router temporarily, to see if you can connect?

Is your G4 Powerbook using 802.11g or 802.11b?

iCube

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2007
You need to change your Network pref from Ethernet or dial up modem to "Airport" It will be recognized as a new port!

awayawayaway

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2008
London, UK
You need to change your Network pref from Ethernet or dial up modem to "Airport" It will be recognized as a new port!

Right, i do not understand what you mean by this. The mac recognizes the airport card and it says that the airport card is switched on and its status is in the menu bar. I live in an apartment block, and when i connect my intel mac to my wireless connection i can also see all my neighbours wireless connections as well. On the G3 mac no networks appear not mine or my neighbours.

I have just disabled all security on my router and still the G3 imac is not picking up mine or anyone else's signal but my intel imac and power book is.

iCube

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2007
Right, i do not understand what you mean by this. The mac recognizes the airport card and it says that the airport card is switched on and its status is in the menu bar. I live in an apartment block, and when i connect my intel mac to my wireless connection i can also see all my neighbours wireless connections as well. On the G3 mac no networks appear not mine or my neighbours.

I have just disabled all security on my router and still the G3 imac is not picking up mine or anyone else's signal but my intel imac and power book is.

I'm sorry I confused you.

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI

He may be on to something here. Do you have your Airport card in your network configuration?

In the Network system preference, in the left hand pane, it lists all of the connecting you can use for networking. Make sure the "Airport" is NOT listed as inactive.

iCube

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2007
Try this

Here's what to look for in System Preferences. 4 pics below.
The last pic is the important one, "Network Port Configurations"

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 85
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 98
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 76
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 84

awayawayaway

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2008
London, UK
He may be on to something here. Do you have your Airport card in your network configuration?

In the Network system preference, in the left hand pane, it lists all of the connecting you can use for networking. Make sure the "Airport" is NOT listed as inactive.

Yep, this is the first thing that i checked when it wasnt working and everything is how it is suppose to be but still it does not work.

awayawayaway

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2008
London, UK
Wireless locale

i think i know what the problem might be i looked in the system profiler and looked at the airport card, next to Wireless Locale it says JAPAN! URGHHH
I live in the uk, i looked at my intel imac's airport in system profiler and it says worldwide.

I think that this might be the problem? anyone??? :(

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
Interesting - are there different international standards for 802.11b? Something about the channels maybe? It seems like I have read about this before...

Could this be something that is resolvable by a firmware update?

Are the cards in your Powerbook and your iMac the same? I suppose you could try swapping them and see if the powerbook card works in your iMac. That would tell you that is was the card for sure...

Don't know how feasible that is...

a104375

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2007
Matamoras, PA
Interesting - are there different international standards for 802.11b? Something about the channels maybe? It seems like I have read about this before...

Could this be something that is resolvable by a firmware update?

Are the cards in your Powerbook and your iMac the same? I suppose you could try swapping them and see if the powerbook card works in your iMac. That would tell you that is was the card for sure...

Don't know how feasible that is...

well if the powerbook uses the new airport extreme it wont work in the imac because they use different cards but if they are both the same then that should be a easy way to test it. but saying japan is very interesting

awayawayaway

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2008
London, UK
my powerbook has an airport extreme card, so i cant try that. I honestly give up lol i cant afford to buy another airport card at the moment! I just thought it would be nice to have the G3 imac wireless!. I got my intel mac and the powerbook and they work fine guess i cant ask for much! oh well i will try again soon

thanks for all your help though!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.