Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

old john

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2005
England
We have:
  • 3 iMac DV+ running OS 9.2.2
  • iMac G5 iSight running OS X 10.4.11.

Before buying a Time Capsule (TC), I checked we could copy files between the TC hard disk and the G3. Peter in tech support in Cork, Ireland thought I could (although not the TC's format, partition or backup apps), but put me on hold to consult someone else. He came back to say yes, and mentioned how. I didn't take notes, though I remember he said I'd need the TC's IP address.

Now we have a TC and I'm stuck and tech support can't help! I've tried two ways, using the G3's:

1 Server Browser ap, which finds the TC account I set up for it and it accepts the password, but when the Server Browser window shows the TC server directory, it's empty and I can't drag items to it or even save items to it from an ap's save dialog box.

2 Chooser, which allows me to enter the IP address of the TC but thencomes up with the message, "This file server uses an incompatible of the AFP protocol. You cannot connect to it."

Any ideas of what I can do?:confused: Or is it a hopeless case?:(

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
Are you trying to connect through AirPort or hardwire? I wouldn't mess with Network Browser, as I've never really gotten it to work. Try connecting to it through Choser instead.

old john

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2005
England
Are you trying to connect through AirPort or hardwire? I wouldn't mess with Network Browser, as I've never really gotten it to work. Try connecting to it through Choser instead.

The G3 is only connected through ethernet hardwire. (My G3 doesn't have AirPort nor any WiFi card.)

Sadly I had no more success with Chooser than with Network Browser. The Network Browser gives the message, "This file server uses an incompatible version of the AFP protocol. You cannot connect to it."

Is there anything I can do about the incompatible AFP protocol?

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
...Is there anything I can do about the incompatible AFP protocol?

Tiger and later drop the old plain AppleTalk over ethernet, and some routers won't support it either. In order for them to connect you'll need to enable File Sharing over TCP/IP on the G3/9.2.2 box. This encapsulates Apple File Sharing Protocol into TCP Packets.

On The OS 9/G3 box, make sure that the checkbox in the File Sharing control panel for "Enable File Sharing clients to connect over TCP/IP" has been selected. It might also help to disable AppleTalk on the G3/9.2.2 box or set it to a port OTHER than Ethernet.

If the option "Enable File Sharing clients to connect over TCP/IP" is greyed out, check that the extension "ShareWay IP Personal Bgnd" has not been disabled. Apple licensed that extension from ShareWay and bundled it with OS9.

I'm not sure why when you DO mount the partition that it's read only.

Hope that helps a little.

:(
________
vaporizer store

Last edited:

old john

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2005
England
Thanks, MachTech, that looks really useful and gives me several things I can try.

1 I checked "ShareWay IP Personal Bgnd" and it is enabled.

2 The checkbox "Enable File Sharing clients to connect over TCP/IP" in the File Sharing control panel was checked, but I assume it's only effective when file sharing is active. I turned on file sharing.

3 I don't seem to be able to combine file sharing on and AppleTalk off. (If I turn file sharing on in the File Sharing control panel, a box pops up saying, "AppleTalk must be turned on to use file sharing. Would you like AppleTalk turned on now?" The options are Cancel and OK. Cancel results in neither AppleTalk nor file sharing; OK results in both!)

4 So the other way of sidestepping AppleTalk that you suggest is to to set it to a port other than ethernet. In the AppleTalk control panel the only option other than ethernet is "Remote only". So I selected Remote only.

5 Having changed various things as above, I tried various things again:

5.1 I entered the TC's IP address in the Chooser, but I still got the message about the incompatible AFP protocol. I found on Wikipedia that "Typically, Mac OS 9.1 or later is recommended for connecting to AFP 3.x servers". I assume TC has AFP 3.x and I have Mac OS 9.2.2 with Appleshare 3.9.2, so I don't understand why I get this message about the incompatible AFP protocol.

5.2 I tried again with Network Browser and just got an empty directory, as before. I couldn't drag files from Finder folders to it.

5.3 I tried to save a file to the TC using the save dialog box. As before, I could select "Connect to server ...", enter the IP address of the TC and enter the password. The to-be-saved-to directory name changed, as expected, to the IP address of the TC, the the Save button remained greyed out! So I failed again!

So I've probably got nearer, but I'm not there yet!

Thanks, anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.