[g3] imac vs powermac

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by skinniezinho, Oct 20, 2009.

1. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

Hi guys, some time ago I found my university has some old G3 macs in a lab(gettin dust),and today I talk to a teacher to see if I can have one...
    He said it is hard but he will try.
    Now If I have to choose between one of the two or three macs that are in the lab what do I choose?

Mac nr1)imac g3 233 or 266,the teacher don't know well - I love the design of the thing!
    [​IMG]

Mac nr2)I think it is a performa,i can't rember well,but this is how I think it look like
    [​IMG]

Mac nr3)This one I am not sure if it is on the lab,but the teacher said so..Beige G3 like this:
    [​IMG]

In this ones,any of my dead Ibook can be used?

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

iMac is the most recent, however it's still ancient.

Um, you asked a favor for something that most people don't buy.

FYI iPhone / iPod touch has a faster processor than all these computer combined.

3. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

First, definitely not the Performa.

As for the iMac vs. the Power Mac? That could be a tough call.

The beige G3s were made with processor speeds ranging from 233 MHz to 300 MHz; onboard Rage II+ (horrendous) or Rage Pro (bad, but at least usable) video depending on the exact age, onboard parallel ATA (aka "IDE") and SCSI, as well as 10-Mbit Ethernet.

For a more usable machine, there are processor upgrades are available to get them up to a 1 GHz G4. They also have three PCI slots available, which could be filled with a better video card (Up to Radeon 9200,) USB and FireWire (wouldn't be bootable, but there are combo USB 2.0/FireWire cards,) and faster Ethernet or a SATA controller to run more modern hard drives. So a beige G3 *CAN* be made into a reasonably modern system. (It can only run up to 10.2 officially, but with the program "XPostFacto", you can get 10.3 running.) Max RAM is 1.5 GB.

The original iMacs had 233-333 Mhz G3s (although if it's a true 'original Bondi blue', it would be 233 MHz only,) onboard Rage IIc (again, ick) or Rage Pro depending on exact revision, no 'real' internal expansion, but with USB 1.1 and 100-Mbit Ethernet.

For upgrades, the original 233 MHz models can be upgraded with processor upgrades (up to G3 600 MHz or G4 500 MHz,) and there are even upgrades that give you a new processor as well as FireWire (G3 only, ironically.) Max RAM is either 256 MB or 512 MB, depending on the exact model.

If both machines were bone-stock, and you have no plans on upgrading, then it would come down to which one was a later revision. If one has the Rage II video, and the other Rage Pro, get the one with Rage Pro. (If you are planning on upgrading, then the Power Mac with an add-in video card wins, hands down.) If they are truly identical in specs, and you aren't planning on upgrading, then the iMac would be better for OS X. Although if either one only has Rage II, avoid OS X like the plague. (The Rage Pro has proper OS X support in 10.1.5 or later, the Rage II never got official OS X support, and is completely unaccelerated in OS X.)

If you are planning on upgrading at all, then the Power Mac wins, hands down.

4. skinniezinho thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for the reply :)
    I have no plan on upgrading it,unless it can receive parts from my ibook g3 800mhz (since the mobo died. i have 512mb pc133 and an airport (I have an usb "zydas chipset" wifi adapter that work in Mac os too))
    The imac is the 233 one,that I am sure..the others I must see..but I really love the imac design,guess I would stay with it..it even has the honey puck mouse :D
    edit: well there is one fact that makes the beige g3 a good option...I have a pair of matched 3dfx Voodoo 2 12Mb ready for sli,to kick in old games!imac's don't have pci right?

5. Archon Gold macrumors 6502

True, but if it is the original iMac g3 then you can use the mezzaine slot to add in a video card upgrade.

to be honest, id go for the iMac.

6. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Yes, there were a couple mezzanine video cards, but they were very expensive when new, and are extraordinarily rare now. (I can't find a single one currently, or even recently finished, on eBay.)

You can get a standard PCI video card cheaply.

Yeah, if you're not going to upgrade, and you like the iMac form factor, then it's a no-brainer. But if you want to game, the Power Mac is the way to go (especially if you already have Voodoo cards and a USB card.)

7. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

The Perfoma 6400 (or Powermac 6500) you pictured is probably one of the more interesting models. They all have a pretty nice built in subwoofer, so they sound good without any speakers. You can also find them up to 300MHz. Its also got IDE hard drive bus and PCI slots for added USB, video cards, Ethernet, and FireWire. If you're just planning on running OS 9, I personally would choose the 64/6500 over the others. I've already got a 6400/180 and its not bad. If the model you're looking at is 225MHz or faster, its a pretty slick machine.

8. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Except, even a 300 MHz 603 is quite a bit slower than even the slowest 233 MHz G3.

9. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Yes, but if he's just going to run OS 8 or 9 then I'd say go for the machine that is the most unique. G3 Powermacs and iMacs can be had for free just about anywhere these days. If he's simply looking for the highest performing/capable, then I would suggest the Powermac G3.

10. 92WardSenatorFE macrumors regular

92WardSenatorFE

I'll second the 6400 post, I'd definitely go for it. Probably the most interesting of the three, and should run OS 9 decently.

11. skinniezinho thread starter macrumors 6502a

not here in portugal..I haven't seen an >300MHz imac/powermac for under 80eur..and they usually go higher...
    I'd love to have an bw powermac g3

12. MacTech68, Oct 24, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

I'll throw a spanner into the works and say I'd prefer the G3 MiniTower (Although that case style also came in the 8600).

Why? The 6400 had no video acceleration to speak of (until the 6500). In fact, if it was a 6500/300, the model sold with a video capture card and Avid(?) consumer level video editing suite, then I'd go for it. The 6500 and 5500's had just that little extra performance with accelerated video.

The G3 Minitower allows you to upgrade with add-on cards which should only get cheaper, even though you've indicated you don't want to spend and money on upgrading them, which is understandable.

So there you go. Another preference. :confused:

Ultimately, it's your choice as to which machine suits you and your desires. :eek:
    ________
    Pinto

13. jdm111 macrumors regular

lol, its funny how indepth we are comparing these computers like its 10 years ago and you are spending about £1000.