G3 iMac w/OS x 3.9 won't start

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by vancejohns, Jul 20, 2007.

1. vancejohns macrumors newbie

When I start my G3 iMac (OS x 3.9) it gets to the desktop screen showing my wallpaper but does not populate the desktop with icons. The colored wheel just keeps spinning. When I hit the power button on the keyboard the window comes up to allow shut down with the buttons active but when I select shutdown or restart nothing happens. If I hit command/option/esc the task management screen comes up and allows me to relaunch finder but nothing changes. Also, the dock shows when I mouse down to it and I can select an app but it won't actually start, although it will show up on the task management screen and I can select and end it.
    I've been runing this operating system for a couple of years and haven't changed any settings or added new software in over a year.

HELP!!!

2. Sawtoothdude macrumors regular

I have this problem from time to time on my old B&W, I find that it happens after a rough shutdown like a power outage, our cure was to unplug it for a couple of minutes then reset the PRAM,m If that doesn't work then Reboot it a couple of times, If that STILL doesn't work, try running a disk utility.
    Good Luck With your iMac.