G3 iMac

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by -Ken-, Mar 20, 2011.

1. -Ken- macrumors regular

I grabbed a few iMacs off eBay recently, I was wondering if these (slot loading 600 mhz) were completely silent like the older G3 iMacs? I used one years ago and remember it being nearly silent with the obvious exceptions of the CD drive and hard drive. I assume they're convection cooled? Is the graphics card silent as well? Are they all like this?

They'll be arriving at my doorstep on Wednesday, can't wait. :D

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

All slot loading G3 iMacs are convection cooled and are completely silent. Apple's only other post 2000 computer to do this it the G4 Cube.

3. -Ken- thread starter macrumors regular

4. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

i used to own one....only sound i could hear was very mild hum,but you had to be right up at it....

what you gonna load on them? i had tiger on mine,was ok for basic internet

5. -Ken- thread starter macrumors regular

These apparently already have Tiger loaded on them and 512 MB of RAM and 80 Gig hard drives, so the work has already been done.

6. MacHamster68, Mar 21, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

great little Mac's these slot loader iMac's , i love my two ...
    and yes with the right sort of harddrive you really need to press your ear right on the case to hear a bit of a humming noise caused by the harddrive otherwise complete silence so long you dont get the idea using the optical drive to install something , playing movies from that drive (if you got a dvd drive fitted ) isn't loud at all , its only when installers are searching the disc for something then its more the noise of a coffee mill ,
    but thats the same ona iMac G5 i had and on my iMac intel core duo , when i installed everything from my disc's ,i thought first that apple had fitted a disc shredder instead and was scared , but no the noise is only irritating it really was a optical drive fitted inside , but thats how they are in iMac's these optical drives :confused:

7. mark-mcd macrumors newbie

I just got one of these (Graphite 500mhz DV SE model) for dirt cheap too (£10.50!). I intend to stick it in the garage and use it as a music player!

To answer your question it is indeed fanless and should be more or less silent. The issue I have is that the original 30GB Maxtor hard drive sounds like a jet turbine with marbles in it - let's hope your drives are quieter ;)

8. -Ken- thread starter macrumors regular

They are silent now! New hard drives from Newegg fixed that :D