G3 internal ram

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by NIPRING, Mar 16, 2008.

1. NIPRING macrumors 6502

I just picked up a g3 12"ibook ($75) and i ordered a 512 ram card for the expansion slot. Can the internal memory be changed or is it soldered in? I've done a little googling but i keep coming up with the expansion ram info.

thanks

Bill

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Nope, the internal RAM is soldered on. You are at the max you can have - 640 Mb with the addition of a 512 Mb PC133 SODIMM.

Welcome to MR - you'll find answers to this and many other commonly asked questions in the Guides, under the Guides tab at the top of this window.

MR Guide to Buying RAM

3. NIPRING thread starter macrumors 6502

Here's another question. The factory sticker under the keyboard says 500MHZ/128MB/10GB/CD so i assumed it had the 128 internal memory. However, while i was poking around i found that the expansion slot already has a 64mb card in it so the internal must be only 64 not 128. A quick check in the system profiler confirmed 64 internal and 64 in the expansion slot. Has the book been tampered with in some way or did Apple do this? Its just that i was expecting to add in the 512 and bring it up to 640 not 576:(

Bill

4. NIPRING thread starter macrumors 6502

On a side note, the ibook with 128mb ram is running tiger:D. Not the minimum 256 or recommended 512, just 128. Man i love Target Mode:D

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

OK then it is the very first model white iBook so it only has 64 Mb built in and no CD-R and no DVD ROM ability.