G3 internet issues

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by CheeseBread365, Oct 4, 2017.

1. CheeseBread365 macrumors regular

CheeseBread365

my imac g3 wont open links or open webpages when i search

2. bunnspecial macrumors 604

bunnspecial

OS 9 or OS X?

What browser?

How is it connected to the network?

Which iMac revision?

3. redheeler macrumors 604

redheeler

4. CheeseBread365 thread starter macrumors regular

CheeseBread365

imac DV summer 2000 running Mac OS 9. Im using internet explorer, as I cant download other browsers because it wont open webpages it says the security response is invalid or something.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 4, 2017 ---
    Im using ethernet and I have the imac set to use TCP/IP.

5. bunnspecial macrumors 604

bunnspecial

6. CheeseBread365 thread starter macrumors regular

CheeseBread365

when it finishes downloadning in IE how do i launch it? when i click on it it just opens a menu for renaming the file and restarting the downlaod
    i clciked on the file it made on the desktop, and it just opened IE and created a file called AT

7. AphoticD macrumors 68000

AphoticD

Run the downloaded file through Stuffit Expander first.

Check for the app in Macintosh HD:Applications:Internet Utilities:Aladdin Folder:Stuffit Expander:

Launch Stuffit Expander and choose Expand from the File menu. Choose the downloaded Classilla file (it should have a .sit extension). It should then decompress and appear as a folder in the same location as the download (usually the Desktop).

If that doesn't work and IE has mangled the download then try downloading on another computer and copying the .sit file across.

A lighter alternative is to download iCab 3.0.5 for Mac OS 8/9 at http://www.icab.de/dl.php - It's not as compatible as Classilla, but better than IE and may get you to where you need to go.

8. CheeseBread365 thread starter macrumors regular

CheeseBread365

i got it to work, but its still giving me that error

9. AphoticD macrumors 68000

AphoticD

Yes, even Classilla won't load some secured websites. This is unfortunately where Mac OS 9 ends in terms of web browsing support. Any pages which aren't loading now will not likely ever work in the future and the pages that do, will begin to dwindle until all currently unsecured websites become encrypted/secured, requiring a newer browser.

I imagine we're not far from the point where all websites will be required to deliver over HTTPS. HTTP services will stop delivering content across the major hosting services and simply redirect the browser to a secure service.

10. swamprock macrumors 6502a

swamprock

Cameron released 9.3.3 when some sites began to reject old certificates. I wonder if he'll do another point update to address any new security concerns anytime soon, if at all...