Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ecohappytom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
London
Grateful if someone could explain to me what exactly the logic board does?! I've just had mine replaced under the extended warranty for G3 ibooks, but the laptop's come back with a new hard drive so I've lost all my work - everything: word docs, music, photos, the lot. When I originally phoned apple to report the problem nobody warned me this would happen - not knowing how the hard drive and the logic board work together I didn't see it coming. I couldn't have backed up before I sent it off as when the logic board failed the computer didn't turn on any more.

Is this just my bad luck/stupidity or could apple have done something more to help?

Grateful for any insight! I'm off to reinstall all my apps... :(

latergator116

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2003
Providence, RI
The hard drive is independet of the logic board, but apple will sometimes erase your hard drive during repairs. I always back all my stuff up before sending my computer in to them. Good luck.

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2003
ecohappytom said:
Grateful if someone could explain to me what exactly the logic board does?! I've just had mine replaced under the extended warranty for G3 ibooks, but the laptop's come back with a new hard drive so I've lost all my work - everything: word docs, music, photos, the lot. When I originally phoned apple to report the problem nobody warned me this would happen - not knowing how the hard drive and the logic board work together I didn't see it coming. I couldn't have backed up before I sent it off as when the logic board failed the computer didn't turn on any more.

Is this just my bad luck/stupidity or could apple have done something more to help?

Grateful for any insight! I'm off to reinstall all my apps... :(

The logic board is the motherboard.

AdamR01

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2003
When I sent my iBook in. They told me on the phone that it was $50 if I wanted a them to backup my files if a reload was necessary. If it wasnt necessary or the backup was unsuccessful I wouldnt be charged. I rejected though cause all I had was mp3s and I could have reripped them easily. Luckily mine came back with my data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.