G3 OS install question

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by photoj2754, May 15, 2014.

1. photoj2754 macrumors 6502

photoj2754

Hi all, need some help since I am definitely not a tech guy. I have a very nice G3 graphite iMac (it used to be my sister's and she barely used it ever). It has 9.2.2 on it and I just installed 10.1.2. I also installed the 4.1.9 firmware so I went ahead and bought a Tiger 10.4 dvd install disc but when I tried to use it, the disc just popped back out. So I'm pretty sure I'm missing a step somewhere. Searched forever trying to see if I had to install 10.2 first but couldn't find any answers. So I am stuck as to what to do next. It only has a 4X CD-RW in it so do I have to copy the Tiger dvd onto a cd to use it? One strange thing to add, I deleted my sister's account since she couldn't remember her password and set myself up as administrator in 10.1 which works fine when I sign in but when I go to disk utility and click on repair all choices are greyed out. I thought I read that this had something to do with an administrator account but not sure. Did I do something wrong when I deleted her account? Anyway, just stuck and wanting to keep this nice little machine but want to get Tiger on it. It is maxed out with Ram (1gb) just in case you were wondering. Thanks so much for your time.

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Two things.

1. A CDROM drive will not read DVDs. So, if your Tiger Disk is actually a DVD, you're going to need the CD version of it or to find another way to get it installed.

2. You cannot repair a disk from the bootup volume. You have to boot from the installer CD or DVD and THEN use Disk Utility (accessible from the installer Utility Menu). If you have the Jaguar install disk, boot from that, go to the Utility Menu, select Disk Utility and then click on Repair Disk (after selecting the disk).

3. photoj2754 thread starter macrumors 6502

photoj2754

Thanks for clearing that up. The more I thought it through I realized the whole dvd thing wasn't going to work. My thinking now is to use a G4 PowerBook we have at work that has FireWire and a DVD drive and start it up in Target mode and try installing Tiger that way on the G3. Does that sound right?

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

That sounds exactly right and would be the way I'd do it.

5. photoj2754 thread starter macrumors 6502

photoj2754

Just wanted to say thanks for the advice. Install went perfectly and the machine works great. I just love these IMacs.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

They really were great machines and design for their time!