G3 Parts -- G4 Mobo.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Mars478, May 26, 2009.

1. Mars478 macrumors 6502a

Mars478

Hi everyone!
    I've got all the parts from a 700 MHZ iBook G3, and a 1.33 GHZ G4 iBook Mobo.
    Heres the project. I want to construct a functional iBook out of all these parts. I know some parts aren't compatible, such as the back light cable. I have experience with these iBooks, I have taken several apart. Had anyone completed something like this. Please don't come and say that it's not possible, because I know it is.
    They are both 12 inchers. And i've got two clamshell iBooks if that helps at all.
    If this project does not work, I will transform my Graphite 466 iBook to XGA, using the screen panel from the G3 icebook.
    Thanks

2. Mars478 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mars478

3. Finlandboy macrumors 6502

Finlandboy

wish i could help....but good luck my man, sounds like a neat project :D

4. foothead macrumors regular

Yes. Many parts of the G3 and G4 ibook are compatible. My G4 probably has more G3 parts than G4 parts now. The HDD, DVD drive, LCD,and many other random parts in my G4 are from an old G3 that i took apart.
    I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to replace, but good luck:rolleyes::D

BTW the clamshell ibook isn't XGA? I have a much older powerbook, and it has an XGA screen.

5. Mars478 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mars478

That makes me much happier. What I am trying to do is fit a G4 Motherboard into all the parts of a G3. I have everything for the G3 except the mother board (bad GPU) . Yes the iBook Clamshell runs at 800x600 There is a whole project that went on a while back to get the clamshell to XGA.
    It makes those clamshells so unusable and they are great machines, so sad to see so many of them go to waste...