G3 powerbook wallstreet screen?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by mrkramer, Oct 11, 2007.

1. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I have a wallstreet with a broken LCD. The caseing around the screen is in good condition so I don't want to pay the extra to replace that. on iFixit I saw that they sell the LCD panel by itself for around $30. unfortunatly they only have instructions for changing the display with the plastic casing still around it. is there anywhere else that would have directions to install this once I get it? also where can I get a working battery for this powerbook?

2. Sly macrumors 6502

Sly

There are plenty of places to still buy Wallstreet parts try iFixit they also have good installation guides, including one for the Wallstreet LCD.

To be honest thou its probably not worth spending the money on repair. The battery is $140 the LCD you say you can get for $30 then you will need to replace the PRAM battery as Wallstreets don't run well at all when this is warn out, another $100. How are the screen hinges? If your screen moves about an inch or so with no resistance then they are not far off breaking. As you can see its not worth doing as the Powerbook is not worth much more than $100.

I suspect most collectors here repair there systems with parts scavenged from other old and broken computers I know I do. If you want to keep it going get ebaying.

3. mrkramer thread starter macrumors 603

mrkramer

the LCD that I can get for $30 is this one on iFixit. The only instructions that they have are for installing the complete display assembly, I am wanting to find instructions for installing the LCD only. the hinges I think are fine since they still have a bit of resistance when moving them, and It runs perfectly fine when plugged into an external display and the powercord so I think the PRAM battery is fine.

4. Sly macrumors 6502

Sly

5. mrkramer thread starter macrumors 603

mrkramer

Thanks that will help a lot.