Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeffberg

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2001
Does anyone know where I can find a G3 processor 600MHz or higher and a motherboard to support it? I want to build my own clone. Is this possible, I know that besided those 2 pieces all the hardware is essentially the same as a PC?

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
not quite sure...

I'm not so sure it's that simple. I think it would be like trying to retrofit a Porsche with a Honda Civic engine. I've read posts in the past regarding building your own Mac, and most of them come to the same conclusion that it's more expensive to get the parts and build your own than to go out and buy a new one.

But if u do want FrankenMac, I'm sure it can be done.

DannyZR2

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2001
Texas
not enough

Processor and motherboard is not enough.. the thing that Apple has done to prevent clones.. and been succesful.. is require the ROM Chips to be present as well. This is what you will have trouble finding. This is also why there are no Mac emulators around, other than the fact that a CISC processor will have a hard time emulating a RISCbased processor, i.e. powerpc..

You can certainly buy used boards online that have the ROM chips with them, but I don't really see the point.. You won't be able to 'out-do' Apple. If the processor for a faster Mac were available, then you would see it at store.apple.com, but you don't.. you can get G3 and low-end G4 chips/boards, but it's gonna be pretty pricy..

Just buy from Apple, or a complete used sys..

DannyZR2

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2001
Texas
another thing

All of the processor upgrade companies that deal with PowerPC chips stumble into the ROM problem. This is why NewerTech(i think it was Newer) gave discounts to people if they sent in their old daughtercards for the new ones.. they would recycle the ROM chips and put them on new boards with faster processors..

However, I like Sonnet Technologies, because they have legally been able to 'flash' the ROM from the original chip to the Hard Drive, then you insert the new card, flash the ROM info back (onto the new blank ROM chip from Newer) and you've got a new ROM with original Apple data working with your faster processor..

check it out.. http://www.sonnettech.com

BTW I can't wait for HARMONi!!!

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
not always price

if you want to save money, buy a refurbished machine

but if you want to be an apple tech or simply learn about computer hardware, then this is a good way to learn and if it costs you more than if you bought one outright, then think of it as an educational cost of learning the finer points of being a techie

anything can be done and it may take a lot of research and many of your best sources may not be official sources but from the world of hard knocks...that is why the field of high tech is based on experience and not textbooks because no publisher or academic institution even has a prayer in keeping up with the pace of the IT field

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
and look to older sources, too

with the exception of the actual processor and its chipset, most of the components on the motherboard have remained unchanged for quite a long time so you may be able to frankenstein something together but that would really require some heavy duty knowledge

i don't suggest that route but like i mentioned before, almost anything is possible and i have seen people modify old modems, create pc emulators, and write drivers, but it is a conglomeration of knowledge you need and don't expect to master all aspects of your project...some of what you do which works may not have an explanation you are ready for and this is the joy of building a custom box

i do admit that a custom pc box is easier than a mac solution because of all the really accesible resources

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
Harmoni is cool. It thought it was already out?

Dont use CISC and RISC comparisons danny, as we have debated this before and we all know there isnt such a thing as the CISC Vs RISC debate anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.