G3 software & memory update ?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Greysquirrel, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Greysquirrel macrumors member

Greysquirrel

I have a 10yr old G3 iMac, running X.3.9 and Classic, have 192mb memory and 105GB free space on HD.
    My question is what is the latest OS version I can install. I know I will need to add more memory but thats not a problem.
    Machine runs good, sometime slow with a lot of beachballs but dosen't freeze up or crash.
    Need newer OS so I can download some files I want and plan to get into the 21 century early next year with a new machine, if they release a new generation of the iMac or come out with a notebook with a numerical keyboard.
    Of course depending on the price of the software I may just bite the bullet and hold on to what I have till spring.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

An older version of OSX would probably work. 10.2 or maybe 10.3. You'd need to check the system requirements. Of course either will probably feel slower than what you have now on that sort of hardware...

3. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

I think he already go 10.3.9. (X.3.9)

I say upgrade to new OS if you need the features if not just upgrade ram

4. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

If your iMac has firewire, you can upgrade to Tiger.

If not, Panther is your limit.

Either way, you should max-out the RAM.

5. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Not at home, but mactracker will tell you everything you need to know about your Mac from the max amount of RAM to the highest OS you can put in it.