Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Homeschoolmom50

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
Hi,
My G3 keeps repeatedly rebooting. It goes through the loading process, but when it comes time to give you the desktop, it shuts down and restarts all over againl. As it boots up, a double image that you can't read comes up on the monitor, along with a solid color bar that separates the desktop image in two. I have two internal harddrives and changed it to reboot from the second harddrive, thinking that might be the problem. Immediately after doing this, it rebooted fine one time, but now is caught in the reboot loop again. When I startup from the install disk, the image is fine on the screen, as is the startup itself, and when I run disk doctor, it says both drives are fine. Any idea what this could be? I homeschool, and would like to keep using all of the classic educational software on it for my 5 year old. I'm grateful for any suggestions.
It's running 9.2.2, 256mb memory 9gig drive is current booting drive, other one is 2gig.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Sorry to say it, but it sounds like it could be a hardware problem. As a former school tech, I can understand your attachment to the machine and the software...

The least you could try doing is reinstalling OS 9, but frequently sudden reboots point to hardware. Might be time to hit up Craigslist and look for another old machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.