Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ewinemiller

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2001
west of Philly
Re: Re: Altivec is a waste if the OS is hogging it!

Originally posted by jettredmont

For instance, if AppX is doing a bunch of integer math, and AppY wants to do a bunch of floating point math, it would be really cool if the CPU would give it's integer units to AppX and its FP Units to AppY simultaneously. But that's simply not the case.

Actually this is exactly what the hyperthreads on the new 3ghz P4 do. In some applications there have been performance gains around 30%, some applications are a little slower because of more contention on the cpu cache. I'm told it really shines when you are using more than one application. AMD made some noise about supporting the technology in future chips if it takes off and I suspect that other chip makers will embrace the technology down the road.

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
Originally posted by Chryx

The native resolution of the 12.1" iBooks screen and the 14" iBooks screen is identical IIRC (1024x768) therefore it should make no difference to benchmarks, the pixels are bigger on the 14" screen, that's all (nothing to do with the video acceleration hardware whatsoever.)

Yep...this is why most people feel the 14" iBook should be discontinued. There is no real advantage...except a littel battery life or enlarged pixels for weak eyed people...like myself, but I use the 12"-er fine (I have these new things called glasses).

Chryx

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2002
Originally posted by JSRockit

Yep...this is why most people feel the 14" iBook should be discontinued. There is no real advantage...except a littel battery life or enlarged pixels for weak eyed people...like myself, but I use the 12"-er fine (I have these new things called glasses).

Personally I think they should replace them both with a 1152x864 13" screen ;)

pnz999

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2002
what about a race between a transmeta crusoe 1 GHz [128KB L1, 512 L3, system bus 133 MHz] to an 800 GHz iBook [system bus 100 MHz]? which one is a better performer?

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2001
black or blue

and bring back the graphite color for the iBook SE...and 768 max ram.
I actually like the black of the old powerbook, titanium would be good except for the paint and flimsiness and the sony 505 looks great white although goodlooking is getting old with no option to balance it out. i want saphire blue but black will be color. some japanese users have custom painted motifs, but i forgot the site

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2001
black or blue

and bring back the graphite color for the iBook SE...and 768 max ram.
I actually like the black of the old powerbook, titanium would be good except for the paint and flimsiness and the sony 505 looks great white although goodlooking is getting old with no option to balance it out. i want saphire blue but black will be color. some japanese users have custom painted motifs, but i forgot the site

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: black or blue

Originally posted by daveg5

How about an aluminum case that's anodized. Anodized finishes are exrtremely hard and very good looking.

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2001
oh yea

Originally posted by MacBandit

How about an aluminum case that's anodized. Anodized finishes are exrtremely hard and very good looking.
That'll work along with brushed stianless steel or clear surrounded by chrome hilighted by gold and platinum trimming buts lets make it easy interchangable skins.
i guess we can dream

adamcoop

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2002
Canberra, Australia
Re: Re: black or blue

Unless it's hard-anodized, the finish will wear off very quickly, and look very cheap.
Mountain biking went through a purple anodized fad in the early 90's - that was quickly replaced by a powder coated fad. The powder coating was much more robust, especially in places where there was a lot of contact, i.e. handlebars etc... the anodizing would wear off in these places within a few months.
The same thing would apply for laptops.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: Re: Re: black or blue

Originally posted by adamcoop

Unless it's hard-anodized, the finish will wear off very quickly, and look very cheap.
Mountain biking went through a purple anodized fad in the early 90's - that was quickly replaced by a powder coated fad. The powder coating was much more robust, especially in places where there was a lot of contact, i.e. handlebars etc... the anodizing would wear off in these places within a few months.

You think hard anodizing would wear off? The problem with powder coating is if the material is flexible it pops off.

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2001
other things

that will work too got any pictures, I hope they will have a 2 button pad and scroll strip or wheel like all of the pc lap tops and a more robust looking keyboard and of couse a min 1GB ram

adamcoop

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2002
Canberra, Australia
Originally posted by pnz999
what about a race between a transmeta crusoe 1 GHz [128KB L1, 512 L3, system bus 133 MHz] to an 800 GHz iBook [system bus 100 MHz]? which one is a better performer?

The Transmeta is an x86 chip, and has almost twice as many pipeline stages as the G3 (7 vs. 4).

Without going into too much tech talk, in most instances, the lower the number of pipeline stages, the faster the data can get through the chip.

The other thing i'd be weary of is how comatible with Windows the Transmeta chip is. There was problems with Cyrix chips not being 100% compatible with Windows/Intel.

Anyone else that add any light on this?

Here's a site that compares the Transmeta to a PIII-m.
http://friday.editthispage.com/stories/storyReader$518

"TM5400 supports only MMX" This takes it to sub-Pentium 3 levels as far as multimedia is concerned.

adamcoop

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2002
Canberra, Australia
Re: Re: Re: Re: black or blue

You think hard anodizing would wear off? The problem with powder coating is if the material is flexible it pops off.

No, hard anodizing would be okay. Last time I looked though, you're fairly limited to colour.

Aren't the PowerBooks actually coated? The only parts of my PowerBook where the paint's coming off is the on carbon edges, and on the hinges.

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
Anything other than Titanium is going to add weight to the PB. That would suck...however...I believe Apple will do something different due to poor airport reception, heat issues, paint issues, and durability concerns.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000

As far as I know Titanium can be anodized.

red or blk with low yield so it might up the production cost of the whole product

but black would look most professional...it's still the standard color for a laptop

sj originally wanted this

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2001
Iwish

Anything other than Titanium is going to add weight to the PB. That would suck...however...I believe Apple will do something different due to poor airport reception, heat issues, paint issues, and durability concerns.
Add weight already 5.9 pounds is not bad shiny laguar car type black paint 6 coats like lexus and heat resistant with a glowing blue Apple logo 4 buuton pad with scroll strip, Lcd info viewable when closed to play mp3s cds and dvds, along with a small control remote, 17" wide screen, Larger keyboard, 2 GB ddr, 167 bus, 1.4 g4 7457, 512L2 cache 1MB L3 cache, new antenae and quiet cooling system, 2 independant firewire2 and 2 independand usb2 port, Dolby digital in and out 24/96, Midi port, bluetooth, Longer battery life, lighted keyboard and everything that is on the current titanium and a $2499 price tag

Chryx

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2002
The Transmeta is an x86 chip, and has almost twice as many pipeline stages as the G3 (7 vs. 4).

Without going into too much tech talk, in most instances, the lower the number of pipeline stages, the faster the data can get through the chip.

Counting pipeline stages is a VERY poor indicator of performance, eg, the PowerPC 970 is 14 (?) stages deep, and yet it's per clock performance should be ~2x the 7455s, the Athlon is a 12-stage design and it's as fast or faster per clock than the 7-stage 7455 if you leave Altivec out of the equation (it also clocks 1Ghz higher... it is on .13 now though, a shrink would probably gain ~300-400Mhz for the G4)

However, the Transmeta chip will get smacked around in a benchmark war against the 750FX simply because the 750FX is a hardware processor, the Crusoe is a JIT emulation engine with a dedicated bit of hardware to run of (if you see what I mean.)

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
Re: Iwish

Originally posted by daveg5

Add weight already 5.9 pounds is not bad shiny laguar car type black paint 6 coats like lexus and heat resistant with a glowing blue Apple logo 4 buuton pad with scroll strip, Lcd info viewable when closed to play mp3s cds and dvds, along with a small control remote, 17" wide screen, Larger keyboard, 2 GB ddr, 167 bus, 1.4 g4 7457, 512L2 cache 1MB L3 cache, new antenae and quiet cooling system, 2 independant firewire2 and 2 independand usb2 port, Dolby digital in and out 24/96, Midi port, bluetooth, Longer battery life, lighted keyboard and everything that is on the current titanium and a $2499 price tag

Is that it? So basically you want a Apple desktop replacement? Part of the TiBooks appeal is that it is 5.4lbs, but still has a 15.2" screen. The computer you described would be 7lbs at least... not to mention it wouldn't come out til at least 2004 with most of the specs you want.

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2001
Just Dreaming

a metal lighter and stronger then Titanium, 3 year Apple Care Warranty standard. Upgradeable cpu ziff and upgradeble video zif 128MB Radeon 9700PRO, disk drive and battery leds, a suite of Sega Games ported from the Xbox and DOOM the Game., I will go up to $3100.
Of course I am crazy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.