G3 wireless problem

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by photoj2754, Sep 9, 2015.

1. photoj2754 macrumors 6502

photoj2754

Not the most technical minded guy but wanted to ask the experts about a wireless problem. I have a 600MHz G3 graphite iMac with an airport card in it with firmware 9.52. I was using a Linksys WRT54GL router to create my wireless network which the G3 had no problem connecting with on the 2.4GHz band. Upgraded to a TP-Link AC1750 dual ban gigabit router which supports 802.11b/g/n and ac. I created two networks and set both 2.4 and 5 to run concurrently. Everything went smoothly and my iPad Air recognized both wireless networks and works fine. But I can't get my wireless to work on the G3. It keeps failing to recongize the 2.4 network when I choose it or says the password is invalid. Tried trouble shooting by checking the settings on the 1750 to see if I needed to try and copy certain setting and do something manually but that turns out to be beyond my payscale it seems. Is the simple answer that the new router is just too far advanced for the G3 airport card in it to work? Or is their something I can do manually to get it to connect or am I missing a step somewhere to get it to work. Thanks so much for any help.

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

The best you can use is WPA with TKIP encryption. If you are setting up a network with WPA2 or WPA with AES encryption, connecting any Mac using an original Airport card will fail.

Check the settings in the new router.

3. photoj2754 thread starter macrumors 6502

photoj2754

thanks for the reply. I think the Linksys network was one of those encryptions. I just don't know which settings on the new router you are saying to check. Here is a pic of my 2.4 band settings.
    Screen Shot 2015-09-09 at 7.12.08 PM.png
    I can add other snapshots of a setting if you see it. thanks.

4. photoj2754 thread starter macrumors 6502

photoj2754

5. photoj2754 thread starter macrumors 6502

photoj2754

When I change the encryption this is what I get:
    Screen Shot 2015-09-09 at 7.19.11 PM.png
    I use the 5 band for my wireless usage with the iPad. The G3 would be the only device in my house that would be on the 2.4. Every other device in my house is wired. So if I can't set up the G3 to get wireless, no biggie. It would be nice to know I could if I wanted. thanks again.

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

The last screenshot is TKIP, which is what you want. Can you connect?

If not, what does it give you as options in the "Version" popup (the one before the 'Encryption' popup)?

7. photoj2754 thread starter macrumors 6502

photoj2754

Well I set encryption to automatic and rebooted the router but it wouldn't connect. didn't know if I should set it to TKIP and reboot in case that might mess things up. under version is:
    WPA-PSK
    WPA2-PSK

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Under version then, use WPA-PSK.

You can't use WPA2-PSK, your iBook won't connect to it. And I'm willing to bet that "Automatic(Recommended)' is defaulting to WPA2-PSK.

9. photoj2754 thread starter macrumors 6502

photoj2754

Thanks for the info. I will give this a try when I get home. Is their anything special I need to do to the network settings on the G3?

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

No. You just need to either be running Tiger or the latest wireless update for any previous OS X version you may be running.

11. photoj2754 thread starter macrumors 6502

photoj2754

Well, gave it a try but it keeps saying password is invalid on the G3, even though it is the password I set for the band. I think maybe something isn't set up right on the G3 network. Before I just left everything on automatic and it worked just fine. Probably have something set wrong just not sure how to approach it. thanks for the help.