Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Another carboot sale Mac picked up for £5....This time a 1.25Ghz MDD with Airport fitted, 2Gb RAM and the standard Radeon 9000 64Mb GPU...was covered in dust and grime and needed a clean but the mirrored doors still have their protective film attached :)

Big surprise was that the owner was a graphic designer who had left all his data on there (with no password) and was producing quality work on this only last year - testament to the usefulness of PPCs in the right hands!

Made a video to illustrate the ease with which this Mac handles Youtube...which is becoming the standard benchmark nowadays :)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
The MDD is one of the last systems I want to get my hands on. I have never cared for the look of them (Quicksilver for the win here) but the internal arrangement is by far a vast improvement over the QS.

Nice system you have there! Congratulations!

Reactions: Dronecatcher

VanneDC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Dubai, UAE
Ive got one of these.. nice boxes, however the power buttons (mine anyhows) feel like complete ****. you nearly have to push that sucker 1/3 of a cm to make it go, unless both of mine are slightly shagged??

Aside from that, cheap to max out in the ram department and slide a ssd in there for speedy goodness.
I also upgraded both my video cards to the 9800Pro.. great cards those. I have some other cards that ill experiment a bit when I pull these back out of my cuboard..

The other one I have is the dual 1.42 G4. I guess they are nicknamed wind tunnels for a reason :D
Awesome for a Fiver :D

Traace

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2018
Germany
MDD owner here too :) My button is still fine. Its a load & hot system compared to others but at least I don't need a second room heater in winter months anymore. Win ^^

Watched Dronecatcher's YT Vid on a G5 DP 1,8Ghz (in browser). Crazy how silent it is compared to a G4 DP MDD.

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
Always amazing to see people using old Macs up until recently. Maybe he got a G5 as a replacement!

I've got a 1.25 GHz MDD as well, and it's probably the fastest PowerPC I have, in real world usage. Congrats on the nice find!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.