G4 1.25Ghz MDD

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Dronecatcher, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Dronecatcher macrumors 68030

Dronecatcher

Another carboot sale Mac picked up for £5....This time a 1.25Ghz MDD with Airport fitted, 2Gb RAM and the standard Radeon 9000 64Mb GPU...was covered in dust and grime and needed a clean but the mirrored doors still have their protective film attached :)

Big surprise was that the owner was a graphic designer who had left all his data on there (with no password) and was producing quality work on this only last year - testament to the usefulness of PPCs in the right hands!

Made a video to illustrate the ease with which this Mac handles Youtube...which is becoming the standard benchmark nowadays :)

2. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

The MDD is one of the last systems I want to get my hands on. I have never cared for the look of them (Quicksilver for the win here) but the internal arrangement is by far a vast improvement over the QS.

Nice system you have there! Congratulations!

3. Dronecatcher thread starter macrumors 68030

Dronecatcher

Thanks. As ever, I wasn't looking for one..but at £5 I couldn't pass :)

4. dbdjre0143 macrumors 6502

dbdjre0143

WOW! What a find for £5 ! Macs, especially older ones, virtually never crop up in yard sales, Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist, etc. where I live. Congratulations on an awesome score!

5. Dronecatcher thread starter macrumors 68030

Dronecatcher

Thanks. Yes, I've been lucky a few times...95% of the time though you come away empty handed ;)

6. VanneDC macrumors 6502a

VanneDC

Ive got one of these.. nice boxes, however the power buttons (mine anyhows) feel like complete ****. you nearly have to push that sucker 1/3 of a cm to make it go, unless both of mine are slightly shagged??

Aside from that, cheap to max out in the ram department and slide a ssd in there for speedy goodness.
    I also upgraded both my video cards to the 9800Pro.. great cards those. I have some other cards that ill experiment a bit when I pull these back out of my cuboard..

The other one I have is the dual 1.42 G4. I guess they are nicknamed wind tunnels for a reason :D
    Awesome for a Fiver :D

7. Dronecatcher thread starter macrumors 68030

Dronecatcher

Yes, it is a noisey beast. The power button is an issue on MDDs - this one is fine but I've had a couple where it requires enough pressure to split concrete to turn it on!

8. Traace macrumors regular

Traace

MDD owner here too :) My button is still fine. Its a load & hot system compared to others but at least I don't need a second room heater in winter months anymore. Win ^^

Watched Dronecatcher's YT Vid on a G5 DP 1,8Ghz (in browser). Crazy how silent it is compared to a G4 DP MDD.

9. Dronecatcher thread starter macrumors 68030

Dronecatcher

Plus on the dual G5 you can run in reduced mode - keeps those fans from ever ramping up :)

10. Slix macrumors 65816

Slix

Always amazing to see people using old Macs up until recently. Maybe he got a G5 as a replacement!

I've got a 1.25 GHz MDD as well, and it's probably the fastest PowerPC I have, in real world usage. Congrats on the nice find!