g4 15"800mhz imac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by utrinque, Feb 8, 2009.

1. utrinque macrumors newbie

i have just purchased a g4 15"800 mhz mac it has jaguar os on it and have been trying to find out if i can upgrade to lep os i have a macbook 13"running lep is there anyway to do this?i have tried a few methods but none seem to work although my knowledge base isnt good neither my computer skills..
    i would be greatful of any help,suggestion,ideas etc etc
    manythanks
    ut:confused:

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Leopard requires an 867 MHz or faster processor. There are ways to get it installed on your Mac. You can Google for that. If you are trying to use the Install disc that came with your macBook, that won't work. You'll need a retail copy of Leopard.

3. utrinque thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

thanks for the reply
    i have bought a tiger install disc from ebay this is a silver disc not a black one with the big X on it i have tried to install this too and it starts as all is well but after language selection it just reboots back into jag,
    my g4 runs all software that ive tried to install on it do you think it might be a hardware problem or just that im trying to install the wrong operating system software??
    ut

4. Scooby_Doo macrumors member

Scooby_Doo

Probably need a new install disc

I think the biggest issue is that the DVD you have for your MacBook is probably only the intel native version of OS X. Without PowerPC code, it'll never boot. Buy/acquire a PowerPC version of 10.5.

Next, that machine is officially unsupported by 10.5, which means you'll have to trick the system into letting you install onto it. Answers on this can be found here:
    http://lowendmac.com/osx/leopard/unsupported.html

Edit:
    Tiger should work unless the disc came from Tiger that was meant to be installed on a first generation intel iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro, etc. Does the CD say anything like "for installation on ______ system"? Or does it look like a genuine retail copy of 10.4?

5. finnschi macrumors 6502

Try to use disk utility (from the Tiger DvD) to format the HDD first! :cool: