G4 17" Powerbook or Intel Macbook Pro 17"?

chanwaiming3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2006
23
0
I am a heavy user... run 5 - 10 applicatoins running simultaneously. I need a laptop DESPERATELY now... this is my first time using Mac in 15 years and can't wait to make the switch back.

I plan to get a second generation 17" Macbook within next 6 - 12 months. But i need something in short term. Should i get G4 and wait or should i go ahead with Intel Macbook Pro 17?

If I get G4, shoudl I get used or new?... especially given the fact that I will be buying another one in 6- 12 months!

Thanks for any advice!

Simon
 

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
1,908
1
Take a MBP with 2 GB RAM. It's 5x faster than 17" PB, and the PB will only cost around $500 less...
 

iGary

Guest
May 26, 2004
19,583
1
Randy's House
chanwaiming3 said:
I am a heavy user... run 5 - 10 applicatoins running simultaneously. I need a laptop DESPERATELY now... this is my first time using Mac in 15 years and can't wait to make the switch back.

I plan to get a second generation 17" Macbook within next 6 - 12 months. But i need something in short term. Should i get G4 and wait or should i go ahead with Intel Macbook Pro 17?

If I get G4, shoudl I get used or new?... especially given the fact that I will be buying another one in 6- 12 months!

Thanks for any advice!

Simon
Do you use any Adobe/non universal programs?

Yes?

Get the G4 - refurb.
 

menziep

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2006
527
1
iGary said:
Do you use any Adobe/non universal programs?

Yes?

Get the G4 - refurb.

Most Adobe/non universal programs run fine and Adobe will start bringing out Universal Binarys soon anyway
 

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
7,241
1
Washington D.C
menziep said:
Most Adobe/non universal programs run fine and Adobe will start bringing out Universal Binarys soon anyway

The speed from a 17'' PB to a MBP with non universal apps is big, and the fact the OP plans to get a MBP soon leds to to tell him he should get a G4 PB