G4 400Mhz Sawtooth - added second harddrive - won't boot anymore

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by rrijkers, Nov 14, 2007.

1. rrijkers macrumors 6502

rrijkers

Hello,

Today I was planning to build in a second harddrive into my old G4 tower. So I did this. But after installing the system won't boot anymore from the OS X Tiger partition. I have tried all sorts of jumper settings, from slave to master to cable select. All without success.

When I boot from the Tiger installation CD diskutility does not even recognize my original master drive nor does it recognize the new slave drive. I even tried to boot from an old OS9 disk to initialize the disk. I tried formatting it in another machine to HFS Journaled, no success in booting mounting the disk whatsoever.

I recently added some extra RAM's but i doubt these are the problem since my machine DOES boot without having the new disk installed in the system.

It is a 60GB Maxtor drive, so it is within the maximum amount of GB's possible for these older machines.

http://www.apple-history.com/body.php?page=gallery&model=g4agp&performa=off&sort=date&order=ASC

Thanks for any help/tips/advice in advance

Cupe

2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Are you 100% sure you checked the master / slave settings?
    That is the most common problem regarding booting problems with multiple HD's inside older Mac's

Just to make sure:
    Are both the HD's placed on top of each other connected to the same IDE bus which was connected to the original HD?
    If so, then make sure the lower HD is set to master, and the top one set to slave, and try again.

Good luck, maat ;)

3. 9Charms macrumors regular

9Charms

have you tried resetting the PMU or SMU? Also check your power supply. If it's the original one, it could have died, or may not be able to handle 2 hard drives. I think they were pretty puny PSUs.

4. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

i have a sawtooth as well and when i added another hdd, i forgot to change it to slave as it was configured for master when i took it out of an old windows computer. it just booted up to a grey screen. is that what yours does?

5. rrijkers thread starter macrumors 6502

rrijkers

Both drives are now on cable select. With the one on the bottom the one being with OSX. Which is in the Master position and the other newly placed drive being in the slave position.

[​IMG]

Only thing I don't get is that the images on the productwebsite show different jumper setting as the harddisk itself. Which one to use.

About the PMU and SMU? I don't know where do I do this ar all, actually haven't heard about these abbreviations before.

I like to add that there always used to be 2 drives in the machine, the original 10GB one and a second 60GB one which I want to be the master disk now. I can add pictures of the inside of the machine and the setup if needed.

Maxtor Jumper settings:
    [​IMG]

D740X is my drive

IBM Jumper settings:
    http://eshop.macsales.com/Tech/manuals/idehdsettings/IBM72.pdf

Cable Select:
    http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/faq/ata_cable_select.html

:(

6. mrpointy macrumors newbie

Few months back I did the same, put a new 80GB Maxtor drive over the old 10GB original drive. From my research in the forums it was recommended to use master/slave rather than cable select on an older machine, ie the sawtooth.
    I set my new drive to master and the original to slave.
    Also, from my research, zap pram after changing any hardware.

Good Luck

7. rrijkers thread starter macrumors 6502

rrijkers

Ok, I will try this. Problem isn't solved yet :). So I will set it up to Master/Slave and zap the PRAM to see if that helps. Thanks :)

8. rrijkers thread starter macrumors 6502

rrijkers

Still searching google for a solution, I end up finding my own thread...

ps. When I boot holding alt It shows the startupvolume, tho it cant boot i get the hold / stop sign

[​IMG]

9. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

did you zap your pram holding down command-option-P-R? and i can't see how when holding down the option/alt it still won't boot since your choosing the boot source. does the computer still not work with just the orginal drive on the bus?

i have 2 sawtooth's 500dp and a 450 and both are different. and when i added my second drive to the first one, it wouldn't work because of the jumper setting, but once i set it to slave it worked like it should, i didn't have to do any pram resetting or anything else.

10. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

if it had 2 drives already, then the powersupply should be alright. but since you're wanting to make the new 60gb your primary drive, try starting up with the install cd and installing the OS onto the new drive wihle the old one is disconnected. the pmu/smu button is near the ide bus for the hard drives on the top right of the motherboard, above the pci slots.

11. 9Charms macrumors regular

9Charms

have you tried removing one hard drive? Will it work with just the new one? Have you tried installing one of the HD's underneath the optical drive?

12. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

also if one drive is missing the jumper, it won't work at all as i just tried it. so one must be set to master while the other set to slave.

13. rrijkers thread starter macrumors 6502

rrijkers

I have set the new drive to slave. I can boot with the semi-original drive just fine. I am giving up, this is taking me too much time. Ah well :)

Thanks a lot for all help given people! :)