G4 450MHZ/ Mac Mini HELP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ghost Horses, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Ghost Horses macrumors newbie

So I've got a G4 450 mhz and she's slooooow as you may guess. I have a music project in garage band that I want to bring to another (new) computer...I'm thinking about getting a mac mini and finishing the project there. My G4 is at full capacity and can't handle anything more on this particular project. So at this point I'm in limbo. So what are your opinions on a mac mini and doing this?

2. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

IF you can find a reasonably-priced intel mini, AND you can max it out on ram AND you have (or can get) a large, fast external HD, then go for it...............

Otherwise load up a Mac Pro and be happy :D

3. Ghost Horses thread starter macrumors newbie

That's $$$ that I don't have though. I need $$$ saving options here, not a heavy credit card bill... I'd love to go out and guy Mac Pro believe me! I just can't right now.

4. polar-blair macrumors regular

My bros getting a mac mini, the mini and the macbook are roughly the same internally and my macbook was able to work large garage band files pretty well. I would recommend maxing out the RAM though just incase.

5. Ghost Horses thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm...now that sounds encouraging! How big of a project are we talking? I'd like to have the mac mini for only my music and podcasts. Nothing else. As soon as I finish a project, I plan on dumping it on a CD, trashing the project, then starting on a new one. Opinions?