Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blacka4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2009
Pittsburgh
Guys anyone here have the origional discs that came with these machines? I need to reformat some HHD's but my Leopard Disc wont boot from the CD drive and I don't know the passwords on the OS accounts

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
There's a way to create a new account without knowing the password. 1. BOOT INTO SINGLE-USER MODE

Turn on the computer. Upon hearing the startup chime, hold the key combination CMD+S. This boots the computer into single-user mode, which in turn gives you access via the root user. It is important to note, however, that this can be blocked by a firmware password. If that’s the case, theres other guides on getting into single-user mode while locked.

2. MOUNT THE HARD DRIVE

Once single-user mode boots (it should look like a black screen with white text), we need to mount the hard drive. At the prompt type in:
/sbin/mount -uw /

3. REMOVE THE “SETUP HAS BEEN COMPLETED” FILE

Now that the drive is mounted, we can edit the file system. We’re going to delete a file that tells your computer that you have completed the initial setup. Type in:
rm /var/db/.applesetupdone
This command deletes the file “.applesetupdone” in the /var/db/ directory, which the computer checks for on startup to ensure that the computer has already been set up.

And you're done, you should be at the new user creation screen when you're done

Reactions: Dronecatcher

blacka4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2009
Pittsburgh
Sweet. That worked. Thanks man. Now if I can get the system to boot from my leopard dvd. It's taking for EVER

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.