G4/5 iMac Help

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by blacka4, Sep 28, 2015.

1. blacka4 macrumors 6502

Guys anyone here have the origional discs that came with these machines? I need to reformat some HHD's but my Leopard Disc wont boot from the CD drive and I don't know the passwords on the OS accounts

2. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

There's a way to create a new account without knowing the password. 1. BOOT INTO SINGLE-USER MODE

Turn on the computer. Upon hearing the startup chime, hold the key combination CMD+S. This boots the computer into single-user mode, which in turn gives you access via the root user. It is important to note, however, that this can be blocked by a firmware password. If that’s the case, theres other guides on getting into single-user mode while locked.

2. MOUNT THE HARD DRIVE

Once single-user mode boots (it should look like a black screen with white text), we need to mount the hard drive. At the prompt type in:
    /sbin/mount -uw /

3. REMOVE THE “SETUP HAS BEEN COMPLETED” FILE

Now that the drive is mounted, we can edit the file system. We’re going to delete a file that tells your computer that you have completed the initial setup. Type in:
    rm /var/db/.applesetupdone
    This command deletes the file “.applesetupdone” in the /var/db/ directory, which the computer checks for on startup to ensure that the computer has already been set up.

And you're done, you should be at the new user creation screen when you're done

3. blacka4 thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool. Thanks. They have tiger on them. Assuming that doesn't matter.

4. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

5. blacka4 thread starter macrumors 6502

6. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

7. blacka4 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sweet. That worked. Thanks man. Now if I can get the system to boot from my leopard dvd. It's taking for EVER