G4 and laptop no longer reading Iomega external drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by angie450, Dec 31, 2007.

1. angie450 macrumors newbie

Hi, can someone help?

I have a MiniMax that I bought a few months ago and I've used it about two or three times with my two Macs, a desktop on OS 10.3.9 and an IBook with OSX but a later version (not Leopard). It worked fine at first but now it can't read the disk on either of the two computers. It shows up as a drive in Disk Utilities but I can't access it. When I try to verify/repair the disk in disk utilities it says "invalid B-tree node size. The volume needs to be repaired. Volume check failed. Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit (-9972)"

I almost reformatted the drive as per Iomega's website instructions but then I read that the FAT32 formatting that the drive comes with is only a problem with OS 10.2 and older, not my operating systems. I've looked everywhere for answers, if I have to reformat the drive to start over I will, but how will I know this won't happen again?

Iomega support doesn't have any concrete answers for me. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Angie

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

are you only using the drive with macs? if so then reformat to HFS+. if you want to use it with pcs and macs format it to FAT again (MS-DOS in disk util).

do you have any important files on the drive? if you cant access them you may have to use a disk recovery app such as data rescue II to recover these files before you reformat. if you still have trouble after formatting it way be faulty and get it checked out under iomega's warranty. do you have a pc to check if it works in windows? then we'll know that its a mac os issue or not.

3. Matari macrumors member

Iomega drives failing

This happened to me a while ago and I couldn't get it working again. Ended up getting another hard drive (unfortunately another Iomega, but fortunately free from my employer!), and formatted in hfs which allows me to backup massive files as there is no limit in this format version. Because of this problem, I have learnt to do a double back up - one to the hard drive and one onto dvd, as I think there is a problem with Iomega drives.

M