G4 as a home media server

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by dhartlen, Mar 17, 2013.

1. dhartlen macrumors member

Hi all,

I've been looking at buying a used G4 Mac Mini and using it as media server.

After some research I believe that the newest version of iTunes that I could run on it is 9.2.1. I'm assuming that this will be fine and that there will be no issues connecting to it from our two Apple TVs or iPhones/iPad. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

2. Omnius macrumors 6502a

I would really suggest you get at least a 2,1 Mac mini. The g4 is so ancient that it's unsupported by Apple. Plus you can probably buy a 2,1 mini for same price as a g4.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Or get a MacMini1,1 and upgrade it's CPU and flash the 2,1 firmware. They're exactly the same.

4. dhartlen thread starter macrumors member

I actually just scored a 1,1 on a local selling site. Looks like I need to investigate upgrading the CPU now... thanks!

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Just make sure you get a compatible one. There are lots that appear to be compatible, but are not.

6. Omnius macrumors 6502a

Intell I said the 2,1 because the g4, the 1,1 and the 2,1 are regularly selling for the same prices on craigslist in many areas of the US (especially across NY, NJ, DE, PA). I agree whole heartedly about the 1,1 upgrades though. It's fun if that's your thing.

7. comatory macrumors 6502a

comatory

good thing you went with intel chip. those G4 cant handle HD video.