G4 Battery/Temperature

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thouts, Jul 3, 2008.

1. thouts macrumors regular

thouts

I've had my Powerbook G4 for 3 1/2 years now. Have the original battery and it only lasts for 1 hour as opposed to the 2 1/2 when it was new. Will buying a new battery bring it up to that long again? Also I see from the applestore a new battery costs $130. I've seen them on other sites for as low as $75. Are these batteries legit? Can anyone recommend a site with these discounted batteries. Also...the laptop runs very hot...hasn't caught fire yet but I'm wondering if this is because of the battery too or just the nature of apple laptops?

2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Those batteries are probably generic third party models, which are perfectly fine as they are still Li-ion cells just check the mAh rating. Though they sometimes do not have the push button meter on the bottom of the battery. Just make sure the reseller seems legitamite.

Like this is obviously generic but should be fine. The seller also has a good rating with many similar battery sales.

I bought one for an Acer laptop off ebay for $45 and it was just like any other. If you are really brave you could save some money and replace the cells yourself. Though if you screw up there is a big risk of fire:eek:.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Some places that sell batteries:

macsales
    lacomputercompany
    smalldog
    megamacs

PowerBook feels hot because the case acts like a giant heatsink to dissipate heat. Most PCs are made with plastic which traps heat. To me the PC behavior is not as desirable.

4. dcains macrumors regular

I've been using a battery from eBay seller 'sunvalleytek' for my 12" 1.2mHz G4 iBook since March. It was $48 shipped, I've been getting right around 4 hours out of each charge, and it's got 98 cycles so far. No financial interest, but I'd certainly buy another one from this seller.